53

"And here is the second floor living area," the real estate agent led me to a bright room, lit up by sunlight streaming through its completely windowed walls, "we call it the grand room."

"You have the most luxurious and coveted views in the whole country just in this room!" She turned to me excitedly and I had to close my gaping mouth quickly, "this building is a modern architectural masterpiece, especially this penthouse. But it's also very family-friendly and perfect for children!"

"Oh, that's lovely," I offered her a polite smile, feeling a tad uncomfortable at her enthusiasm and the fact that she had basically been selling me this penthouse for the past fifteen minutes as Ben had had to answer a call.

"Just look at that sunset!" She then gasped in awe, gazing dreamily out of the glass wall, "did I mention that you see the sunrise and sunset in the master bedroom?"

"You didn't," I told her as she glanced back at me, "that's amazing."

"Before we head to the spa downstairs, have you ever seen a polished mercury black marble island table?" She asked with her medium-length red hair bouncing as she turned yet again back to face me.

"I haven't..." I shook my head, feeling almost amused at this point.

I couldn't have even imagined a penthouse to be like this, and was completely mind-blown. My tiny cottage in the countryside flashed through my mind, and in all honesty this made me realise I wasn't ready to leave it. This was my first time back in the city since leaving and I still felt like I needed more time away. Not that Ben was asking me to move in, or anything.

Pauline, the real estate agent, was very professional and a fantastic saleswoman. I was sure that her enthusiasm and positiveness would have me ready to buy whatever she was selling me, but today I just wasn't feeling it.

After leading me more through the stunning penthouse, she began to see my morale lower and lower.

"Miss, is everything alright? If you don't like this, I've already shown Mr Capra a different type of penthouse," her expression formed into a genuinely concerned one, watching me look out of the window where, at the other side of the city my old home stood.

"You won't find a penthouse as high up as this or with such modern technology incorporated into it anywhere else, but the second penthouse is in a very historical location. The grand living room is 4000 square feet, I'm sure you'd absolutely love it!"

"No, I'm sorry, that's way too much space," I shook my head, before reminding myself that I wasn't the one buying a home here, "it's Mr Capra's choice, of course, but I just don't see the point of that big of a living room."

I had never had a cleaner or any of the kind of staff that the Capra's had. I vowed never to get one, either, which was yet another reason I didn't much care for these 20 million dollar penthouses.

"For entertaining, of course!" She clapped her hands together, "and at the end of the day I do believe the choice is in your hands, Miss."

"Excuse me?" I turned to her and away from the window, "what do you mean by that?"

Her smile faltered a little at my tired tone, "you are married, aren't you?"

My eyes widened, utterly shocked that she in her profession would make such a mistake. I was quick to shake my head.

"No. No, we're not," I kept my voice calm now, not wanting her to feel bad about the mistake, "we're just friends. Dating, actually. We've known each-other for a long while and now we're dating."

"Oh, my," she seemed as shocked at the information as I had been at her assumption, "I'm terribly sorry, Miss, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I-"