{ five }

TRIGGER WARNING: Abusive relationship!!

When Harper woke up with her dog barking sound, she sighed slightly, knowing that if she didn't go to check on little Jay, Matthew would, and that wouldn't be nice. It had been two weeks since she and Clarke got back at Lincoln's case, which meant that it was a hell of 2 weeks with Matthew at home.

"Hey, baby," Harper whispered low, putting Jay on her arms. "You're hungry?" She asked, looking into his big eyes. He was almost two years old, and he was the best thing that ever happened to her. He was her buddy. Her best friend in the whole world.

Harper took him to the kitchen and prepared some food for him. After he ate, she got him up to his bed again and followed her trail back to her bed. Matthew was snoring like a pig, and honestly, Harper couldn't be any happier than that.

On the next morning, though... That's when it got complicated.

"Why the hell is this here?" Matthew pointed at the plate that Harper didn't wash yesterday after feeding Jay.

"Jay was hungry, and he started to bark. It was like 3.00 am." She frowned, putting her hair on a ponytail.

"Do I look like I care?" He spat out. "You should have clean it." He said, grabbing her by the arm. "Do it."

"I'm late for work." She said, trying to let go of his hand. "Why don't you do it? It's a fucking plate, not an arsenal."

"Are you talking back to me?" He screamed, grabbing her arm with such strength that she could feel her veins blowing up.

"He's not outside. He doesn't have to see this." Harper begged, but all she got in response was a punch on her right eye. As Harper's tears fell, she felt the bruise already burning.

"You better be home by 6." He said, throwing the plate to the ground.

"My shift ends at 9!" Harper almost screamed, feeling nothing but anger.

"You heard me."

Harper left home, and she drove to nowhere. She just sat in her car, and she cried all out. She had to tell someone. She called into the station and informed Rose [who was the only person who knew Matthew could be sometimes violent] that she couldn't go to work today.

As she texted Clarke, Octavia, and Bellamy, she waited for them to arrive.

Bellamy was the first to arrive, and when he saw Harper standing there, her eyes filled up with tears and a black mark on her face, he had to hug her. Meanwhile, Octavia and Clarke arrived together, and Harper decided it was time to come clean.

"What the hell happened?" Clarke asked, horrified as Octavia touched Harper's face carefully.

"You guys remember, Matthew?" Harper sobbed low.

"From college?" Octavia asked, and they all nodded.

"We stayed together. Even though sometimes he had these dark and violent periods." Harper cried, feeling ashamed. "And... When we found Jay, he got better. The damn dog made him softer." She kept crying as her friends had her back. "But now with Lincoln's death and us re-opening the case... He got worse again. He started the beating up thing again."

"You need to leave him, Harper." Octavia said low.

"We know it's difficult, but you're 26. You're practically still a young adult. And you don't have to put up with this." Clarke looked in her soft eyes.

"He won't leave me alone... And he'll do worse."

"So, we kill him," Clarke said, looking around. "I know this goes against our code, but we see what they do to men like him in jail every day. Nothing. And they keep beating their wives, their dogs, their kids." Clarke closed her eyes for a second, and Harper nodded slowly.

"And how do we do that?" Octavia asked low, finally breaking the ice.

After discussing the plan, Harper and Octavia drove away to find what they needed, leaving Bellamy and Clarke alone.

"Kane called." Bellamy finally broke the ice, sitting next to Clarke. "He was a little sad I didn't attend the funeral." He looked at Clarke, realizing she was sighing. "Why didn't you tell me about your mom, Clarke? You knew I loved her."

"I was going to. On the day you and Octavia came to the station. But then I had to deal with Octavia not realizing how going to the alley begging people to help her finding Lincoln's killer was a bad thing, and I had to deal with the fact that you finally told where you were." She said, looking away.

"Nothing happened on that bar, Clarke..." He sighed, trying to get her attention. "I know I said I almost did something I regretted, but I didn't because I love you." He looked into her eyes, realizing the truth was a hell of a bitch who was trying to escape. "I loved you."

"I believe when you say it didn't happen anything. But you lied to me, Bellamy. And I walked away because you didn't have the guts to tell me." Clarke looked at his eyes too, feeling overwhelmed with everything.

"If I told you, what would be the difference?"

"We wouldn't throw away seven years as we did." She said quietly. "But that wasn't the whole reason. It's not your fault at all."

"We were too young when we started to date." He frowned a little. "And we wanted to see if we cared and loved each other or were just comfortable."

"We were 17 for god sakes." She laughed softly. "But now we're 25." She smiled a little. "Do we even have the answer?"

"I don't think we'll have the answer until you start to treat me like a friend and not an enemy you hate." He smiled a little, looking at the woman of his dreams.

"Deal. But you better not an asshole."

"I'm working on it, Hot-stuff." He chuckled, and she rolled her eyes.

With everything that happened between those two, they both knew they would never find anyone for each-other better than themselves. Although Clarke didn't tell Bellamy about her mother, she still called him the night he was at the station. And he called her on the next night. And sometimes, they felt like they were wrong about breaking up after seven years, but sometimes they thought they did the right thing.