Chapter Five

The door of the Red Eye Diner chimed as Yamada opened it for Aoki, letting her in ahead of himself. He pointed out the back corner booth as he leaned down closer to her ear. "The speaker is right above that one. They usually play classic rock or oldies so it's the best spot in here."

Aoki tried her best to fight the blush that she felt rising to her cheeks but to no avail. Having the voice of the man she's had a massive crush on for years almost directly in her ear had sent her heart and mind into overdrive. "S-Sure," she nodded and led the way.

After sliding into the seat across from Aoki, Yamada finally had a chance to catch a glimpse of her strawberry pink blush. He couldn't fight the slight smile that turned his lips upward, but he didn't want to anyway. She was cute and he wasn't ashamed to admit that.

"Hey, Yamada," a woman in her early twenties smiled as she approached the table and took a notepad out of her apron. "I see you've finally managed to land a date."

Aoki's eyes widened at the notion of this being a date, which she was certain it wasn't and she let out a nervous laugh. "I-it's not like that."

Yamada shrugged. "Still eternally single, as you can see by my lovely date's quick response."

The brunette's face flushed into a deep red as her heart pounded against her ribcage. Does he think this is a date? Oh god. Is this actually a date?!

"You're cute," the waitress chuckled as she elbowed Aoki's shoulder. "What's your name?"

Just as she was about to respond, Yamada beat her to it. "Hey, hey. I'm not gonna let you swoop in a steal my girl, Ishida," he laughed. "Could you grab us each a coffee? And I think Aoki will probably want to see a menu," Yamada smiled at the brunette. "Right?"

His girl?!

"Um, y-yes please."

"Aoki, huh? I like it," Ishida smiled kindly at Aoki and placed a menu down on the table in front of her before turning to leave. "I'll be back with those coffees."

"Thank you," Aoki called out. Ishida glanced back over her shoulder and winked.

"So polite," Yamada chuckled, watching as a very red-faced Aoki picked up her menu to peruse it.

It was only a minute or two before Ishida returned with the coffees as well as creamer and set them down at the table. "What can I get you, hot stuff?"

Aoki, who didn't realize Ishida meant her, kept her eyes down, but when silence lingered she glanced up to meet a pair of amused brown eyes.

"Oh god. You meant me? Sorry," she glanced back down, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly. "Toast and eggs sunny side up please."

Ishida looked to Yamada and quirked an eyebrow. He'd been coming to that diner after his show every week for two years so they'd gotten to know each other fairly well over that span of time. The only other woman she'd ever seen him with was Midnight, but they were always accompanied by Eraserhead as well. So this? This was definitely an interesting development to her.

"The usual?" She questioned.

The blond nodded. "You know it."

"You got it," she replied, slipping the menu off the table and back under her arm before leaving them be.

Yamada watched as Aoki prepared her coffee before fixing his own the way he liked it. "So, how long have you been at the station?"

"Four years," she replied. "They kept me on after my work placement for college ended."