Chapter Eighteen

Ito used his fingers to countdown Yamada until he was on the air, fading out the show's intro as he faded in Yamada's microphone.

"Happy Friday night to everyone listening out there in radio land tonight! It's your friendly neighbourhood hero and radio show host Present Mic comin' atcha here from Hero Radio," Yamada schmoozed. "You're listening to Put Your Hands Up and you've tuned in on the best night because we've got a rockin' show lined up courtesy of my main squeeze, Aoki. Say hi to the lovely listeners, cutie."

Yamada winked at her and she laughed as she did as he instructed. "Hey, listeners."

"Ah, the voice dreams are made of. What a treat! Alright, well let's get this show on the road. Starting with our newest segment, Liner Notes."

Aoki internally cringed, this segment had slipped her mind.

"As I mentioned last week, a mysterious mixtape bandit has been leaving playlists in the break room and well, this is my homage to them. This week's playlist was filled with singer/songwriter jams that have fit perfectly into the soundtrack of my daily life. It featured acts like Angel Olsen, Dan Mangan, and Rhys Lewis.  All worth checkin' for sure," he took a breath and looked up at Aoki. "I know you've been following along as well, what's your take on this week's playlist, Dimples?"

"It's um," she fiddled with her fingers anxiously. "It's good. Definitely on an acoustic kick with this one, which is kind of a nice break from the alternative trend of the past few."

"Totally! Which track was your favourite?"

"That Joel Plaskett one for sure. When I Close My Eyes is easily one of his best songs. It resonates, y'know?"

Yamada smiled. "It definitely resonates, but I think Joel's best song is Fashionable People. It's got that extra little somethin' that makes me wanna sing."

"It's a fun song but not even top ten in the ranking of his best songs," Aoki sat her chin in her palm and her elbow on the table as she got more comfortable and grinned at Yamada. "What are your criteria? Because it sounds pretty loosey-goosey, Mic."

"Oof," he laughed. "Alright, we're gettin' serious about this?"

"I'm just saying favourite songs and the best songs are two completely different things."

"You've got a point, cutie," he smiled, happy to see her feeling more confident behind the microphone. "Okay, maybe it's just my favourite then. Absentminded Melody is probably his best. It's technically proficient, it's well structured, and it still makes me feel something."

"Acceptable answer," Aoki chuckled. "I also would've accepted I'm Yours, Extraordinary, or Through & Through & Through."

"You heard it, folks. Top five Joel Plaskett songs as ranked by the loveliest lady I know. Today, the song I'm sending out is Hold My Girl by George Ezra," Yamada's eyes flickered up to catch hold of Aoki's, making her heart skip a beat. "For my musical soulmate, this one's going out to you."

Ito faded out both microphones and started the cued song. "I don't know this one," Aoki murmured, sliding off one side of the studio headphones to sit just behind her ear so she could hear if Yamada was talking to her.

"Then listen," Yamada smiled kindly and leaned over the table, fixing her headphones to sit properly once again.

Aoki leaned back in her chair and listened to the lyrics, her face flushing as she took them to heart. She glanced up at Yamada as the chorus rolled around only to find his gaze was already set on her. She tilted her head to the side as if to question why he was staring at her and he simply shrugged in response.