Chapter Twenty One

Ito paced down the long stretch of hallway three times before the sound of clicking heels brought his attention up from the hard linoleum floor and he tilted his head to the side. "Nemuri?"

"Oh, hey Ito," she greeted him with a small smile. "Here to see Hizashi?"

"What? Yamada? No..." his eyebrows furrowed. "I'm here because of Aika."

◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷

Nemuri's eyes widened and she paused at Ito's side. "Aoki's here?" She questioned. "Like, to see Yamada right?"

"No," Ito sighed. "She was assaulted outside a convenience store a little while ago...she's in with a nurse right now."

"What happened?"

"I'm not too sure of the details...said she pissed off the wrong person and they waited outside for her," he explained, running a hand through his hair and gripping at the roots. "She's in rough shape."

"Fuck," Nemuri muttered.

"Yeah...what happened to Yamada? Is he going to be okay?"

"Yeah," she sighed. "The League of Villains staged another attack...I don't know exactly what happened to Hizashi but when I saw him being taken away on a stretcher I followed and jumped into the ambulance with them. A few broken ribs and some scratches, nothing that Recovery Girl can't fix."

The door to Aoki's exam room cracked open and Ito didn't hesitate before jogging over. The nurse stepped aside and let him in, nodding a silent hello to Nemuri as she passed. The pair entered the room and when the hero saw how bruised the skin she had visible was, her heart sank. She must be in so much pain... Hizashi's going to freak.

"Hey, hot stuff," she smiled kindly at Aoki as their eyes met.

"Hey," she greeted, before looking over at Ito. "You called Nemuri?"

"No..." he rubbed the back of his neck."I did call your mom though. I don't need that shit to fall on me."

Aoki groaned in annoyance, her voice still a bit scratchy from earlier. When Nemuri giggled it brought the brunette's attention back to her and she tilted her head to the side. "Not that it's not nice to see you, but how did you know I was here?"

"I didn't sweetie," Nemuri sighed as she walked closer, taking a seat on the side of the bed she was in. "Hizashi's here too."

Aoki's heart felt as if it stopped beating and she felt tears immediately build behind her eyes. The ravenette squeezed her hand, giving her a sad smile. "He'll be okay, Hun. He's gone through worse."

Guilt coursed thickly through her veins as she digested this new information. She thought he was just blowing her off...it didn't even occur to her that he could get hurt. Aoki grimaced as she leaned forward to sit herself up, shifting her legs to try and get out of the bed. "Where is he?"

"Whoa, whoa, hold up," Nemuri chuckled. "I don't think you're in any condition to be up and walking about until you're treated."

"I'm fine," she sighed. Aoki's heart felt so heavy, she needed to apologize to him for even thinking that he would do that. "Can you take me there?"

"Aika, you're not fine," Ito protested. "What did the nurse say?"

"Dislocated shoulder and various contusions. I'm fine," she groaned. "Please."