The Beginning

"Hinata. We're going to be late for school. And you promised to help me with volleyball." I told him as I noticed what he was watching. We were on the way to school and he stopped in front of a TV. He was watching the Little Giant play.

"Can I play volleyball with you?" he asked me and I just nodded. At least I'll be able to practice with someone besides a girl this time.

~~~

"I don't feel too good Hasegawa." Complained Hinata. He was probably getting jitters from his first match.

"Head to the bathroom. Be back within 5 minutes." I said as I lead the rest of the team into the gym. There were a couple people gawking at my height, but it didn't matter. I was just here to play volleyball, "Put your stuff down and stretch. Your stretches for your other sports will be fine."

"Got it!" they chorused trying to get to the bench. They couldn't get through the crowd with how short they were though. I made my way in front of them and people automatically moved out of the way. That started even more rumors which was dumb though. The rest of my team sort of followed after me like a mob. 

We finally got to the bench  and set things down. We started stretching when I heard a gasp. I looked over and it was some guy from the team we were facing. He froze when he saw that I was looking at him. He immediately turned around and said something about my flexibility to his friend. I guess it pays to have done gymnastics along with volleyball in grade school.

"Woah. How'd you do that dude?" Asked a guy from some team. I had no idea who he was.  I assumed he was talking about me doing a split to fully stretch out.

"I used to do gymnastics." I said getting up. He held out a hand to help me up, "Thanks."

"No problem. Who's your team?" He asked looking around. The only other people around were around a foot shorter than me so he probably assumed they were just first years and the others hadn't got here.

"This is my team. We have another person, but he's in the bathroom." I said as his jaw dropped.

"Oof. Well, good luck." He said walking away.

"Thanks." I said waving. He waved back, "Alright guys, official warm up starts now. Get a partner and practice passing. Finally. Welcome back Hinata. You're with me."

We did Pepper since  the others were just working on passing. We actually had pretty good control of the ball, until Hinata got hit with a ball from other team. I stood up at full height and looked to see who did it. It was a first year.

"Sorry!" A first year from the other team said grabbing the ball and running away. I guess I scared him?

"Ah. It's fine." Hinata and I said in sync. It freaked out some people out but it didn't matter. The game was starting. I was in the front line with Hinata in the back. It was the other team's serve first. It went to Mori. The ball went off in the completely wrong direction. Izumi got a finger on it but it slipped through his hands.

"Don't mind. Don't mind." Hinata called out.

We lot the first set 25-10. Most of the points were the other team's mistakes, but I got a couple of spikes through the blockers when Izumi  set to me. I blocked them a couple of times too, but the libero picked it up.

It was my turn to serve. It wasn't a fancy serve, but it was strong. The other team barely picked it up. They shot it to Suzuki. He accidentally sent it back. Hinata shot after it and almost got it. He then gave an inspiring speech and rallied the team.

It was eventually 24-15 and it was their serve. They sent it right to Hinata. I gave him a nod. We were going to do what we practiced. He passed it right to me and I did a back set. He acted like he was going the completely wrong way, then he was all of a sudden on the right side. He spiked it down. It was out by a centimeter. People started lining up at the back. Hinata and the other team's setter were still at the front.

"What have you been doing these past 3 years?" He asked and I immediately got offended.

"Do you see an adult here for us? No. Because us two are the only boy volleyball players at our school who aren't first years. The other players play other sports, if they even play sports. We did the best we could with the resources we had. So get off your high horse and appreciate the team you have, before you find yourself without a team." I said. Everyone's jaw dropped. My team because I barely ever lost my cool, the other team was probably surprised that I talked back to the 'King'. I dragged Hinata to the line.

~~~

"I'm going to beat you!" shouted Hinata as I came out of the school. I grabbed his collar and dragged him to the bus.

~~~

"The setter has some potential." One guy said.

"Same with the short and tall guys."