Chapter 8

"Mommy, look! What's that?" A giggle escapes the girl's mouth as she touches the red flower. "That's called a rose, honey. Smell it." The mother told her daughter. The girl complied, bringing the flower to her nose. She smiled, "it smells good! Can we get one?" Her mother smiled at her, "It won't last forever. But yes, we can get one." The little girl jumped up with joy and picked up a pink one, "I like this one!"

"Hey. Get the hell up. I'm not gonna sit here and watch you grin like a fucking idiot." Y/n stirred in her sleep and her eyes fluttered open. "Waa-" she started before she was fully awake. She scrambled backwards on the bed she was on. "W-who are you? Where am I?" She said in fear whilst looking at the man in front of her. His face completely white, black rings went around his eyes, and he had, what looked to be, a smile that ran from his mouth to his ears. Before he could speak, Y/n squeaked, "J-Jeff? H-how a-are you still alive?!" She asked him. The image of the time she stayed over at his house instantly took over her thoughts. "So you do remember me then. That's not too surprising." He said, standing up. "Well, since you're up, I'm going out. If you try anything stupid," he pulled a knife from his hoodie, "I'll stab that pretty face of yours. Smile will keep you company while I'm gone." Jeff whistled and in a few seconds, a large, nearly four foot dog walked into the room and sat near Jeff. "Smile, you'll watch her and make sure she doesn't escape. If she does, make her come back." The dog seemed to smile at his commands and walked into the center of the room. "Good boy. Remember, Y/n, don't move and you'll be fine. If you escape, I can't promise Smile will be easy on you." Scooting closer to the wall, Y/n looked back and forth at the two. "I won't escape. S-so the dog can leave." She tried to state matter of factly. Jeff laughed at her futile attempts, "Not going to happen girly." The door shut with a slam.

Roughly two hours have passed since Jeff was last in the room Y/n was staying in. Every movement Y/n made, Smile would either bark or growl at her. 'Damn dog! Why does it have to be huge?' she asked herself, while looking around the room for something to use to try and knock out the dog. 'Maybe if I just," she crawled over to the edge of the bed and started to stand. Smile saw her movements and let out a very aggressive bark. She jumped back and scrambled back towards the wall. Y/n's heart raced one thousand miles and back at the bark. 'Stupid dog!' she screamed in her head. Smile laid his head back down and stared at Y/n. She looked around the room one more time, 'Maybe I missed something?' she kept looking. Her hand brushed against the covers of the bed. Y/n glanced at the dog, the covers, and the window one or two feet away from the bed. 'It's worth a shot!' In a swift movement the blanket covered Smile's whole body and when he tried to shake it off, he became tangled in them. Her hands smacked the window pain and she jerked it open. 'perfect! I'm not high up.' She jumped and landed on her feet. The ground was only a foot below the window. Taking her chances, she dashed straight and tried to turn in many different directions. The only problem, the trees all looked the same. Y/n didn't know if she was even getting further from the household she was in. Crying sounded in the distance and Y/n stopped running. The crying seemed louder to her and she followed. "Hello? Is anyone there?" She called. "Hello? Hello?" Her voice sang back to her. "What the heck..." she said, following her own voice. She called out again, "Is somebody hurt? Do you need help?" Another cry sounded closer to her. "Hello? Help?" Y/n voice, once again, spoke back to her. Y/n came to a small clearing and nearly fainted. A creature was hunched over on all fours. Its arms looked like a stick covered in loose mud, its legs the same, the creatures body was very human like, although, ribs stuck out from under the skin. The creature looked up at Y/n and it's mouth opened, "Hello? Hurt?" It asked her, in her very own voice. Fear stricken Y/n didn't dare move. Her feet glued themselves into the leaf covered ground. A crunching of leaves to Y/n's left made her jerk her head. 'the dog?!' Due to this sudden movement, the creature took this as a threat and launched itself at Y/n.

Her reaction was late and she hit the ground with a hard thud. Her ears began to ring as the creature atop her let out a screech. She pushed with all of her might and managed to push the thing off of her. She quickly turned around and scrambled to her feet. She didn't hesitate to begin to run full on. She let out several pants and huff's as she forced herself to keep running and not stop. Leaves crunched, twigs snapped, and mud sploshed under her feet as she ran. A second pair of feet sounded just behind her. Then another added to it. Her face burned as well as her hands and knees. Hardly having time to register she fell, a sharp pain planted itself in her calf. Y/n let out a piercing scream. "Let me go!" She turned awkwardly on her side and tried punching the creature off her leg, but of course to no avail as the creature clamped its mouth tighter around her calf. A gruff snarl was realised behind the odd creature. Y/n let out another cry in pain as the creature dropped it's jaw and spun around. Y/n saw what chased after the two and nearly fainted. "Smile!" She shouted, "Attack that- that thing!" She hollered, not even knowing if the dog would take a command from her, whilst scooting back using her good leg and arms. Smile gave Y/n a glace when she spoke and actually did as she said. The two animals rolled as Smile jumped into it. Razor sharp claws smacked Smile's face and he whined then bit the creature's neck. It let out a cry that rang through Y/n's ears. While trying to block out the noise, Y/n used a tree for support and slowly stood. She didn't dare even try standing on her bad leg and hopped from one tree to another taking very, very short breaks as she did.

*Jeff's POV*

I walked through the door of the small cabin that I currently reside in. "Smile, come here boy." I call for my dog. After a minute of waiting I called him again, "You damn mutt! I said get your ass down here!" Another minute and still no dog. 'Fucking shit!' I cursed as I stomped down the short hallway. I slammed open the door and stopped. "What.. The... FUCK?!" I shouted and looked around the room until my eyes fell upon the open window. "Mother fucking fuck!" I quickly ran down the hall and through the front door. "Smile!" I shouted, running in the direction the window faced. "Where the fuck did that damn dog go?" A shrieking sound answered my question and I picked up my pace.

Smile was covered in blood and so was the thing he was attacking. "Smile! Put The Rake into sleep, we've gotta find Y/n before she finds a way out." I tell him and in understandment he nodded biting harder on The Rake. A final scream is let out and Smile shakes and runs over to me. "Find Y/n. And make sure she can't run away." Smile began sniffing at the ground.

*Y/n POV*

Fire made its way to my leg as I put little pressure on it. I nearly screamed, but refrained for fear I would be found. I sucked in a breath when I heard a twig snap. I held my breath as I waited, unmoving for another sound to appear. When no other sound was heard, I hopped over to the next tall thin tree, waited a moment, then hopped over to the next. I repeated this action for another five minutes, yet, it felt like hours. "Y/n~" My heart stops and, ever so slowly, I turn my head to be faced with wide blue eyes. "Aah!" I yelp jumping back from the very wide eyes. "Smile." I hear Jeff say and a low growl is sounded at my side. I let out a cry and scream when the dog jumps on me and places his mouth on my throat as in daring me to try and get back up. "Good boy," Jeff starts, coming over me and crouching down, "you should have known you would never escape me. I mean seriously, Y/n. You always lost when we played tag." He chuckled, grabbing both of my hands. I thrashed and tried kicking him, but due to Smile putting pressure on my neck, I instantly stopped all movement. "P-please leave me alone." I stutter out in tears. "Maybe you should have listened to me." Jeff says ushering Smile to let me go. He pulls me up harshly by my hands and I stumble to stand. It didn't help that he was pulling my wrists and walking at a very fast pace. "When we get back to the cabin, I'll make sure you won't leave that room." I wanted to ask what he meant, but I never did. "Can you stop walking so fast? It's hard to stand let alone hop and not use my bad leg." I said a little too harshly and shrunk back, "I-I'm-" Surprisingly he did slow down his pace to a stop. I trembled, fearing he would hurt me for my words that were spoken to him. "If it hurts that damn bad, maybe you should have just stayed in your fucking room." He spat, his grip tightening around my wrists, "carry her." He said whilst looking at the dog. Smile walked close to me and I hopped back a bit, "Either you get on the dog, or I'll make you walk only on your back leg." I hesitated as he let my wrists go, they were red from his grip and I rubbed them. I placed a hand on the large dogs back. His fur was surprisingly soft, even the places that were matted with blood from, what I assume was, the creature. He crouched so I could easily get on without hurting myself. As I got on Jeff started walking and Smile easily kept up. 'I hate my life right now. Maybe if I just give up, I'll die in peace.' I think to myself reaching up to wipe my eyes of tears.

*Edited*

I know it wasn't too long ago when I wrote this, but Jesus.... It's kinda cringy😂 anyway, have a good one! --- Jenny