000

PROLOGUE

( SELENE HAYDES )

THE NIGHT OF LYDIA MARTINS DISAPPEARANCE

"i'm okay mum, i made it here safely" selene haydes said down the phone as she strolled through the hospital corridors, suitcases in tow. her blonde highlights rested on her shoulders, as she strolled in content.

"i'll tell nat to call you, i promise... love you too" she said hanging the phone up. her tote bag on her shoulder slightly weighed her down but she was nearly to the room so she could bare it a while longer.

"martin!" selene squealed as she saw lydia's father, the young girl dropped her bag running up to the man she saw as a father figure and hugged him. she felt good being back, even if she was only gone for a year.

"ah, selene. good to have you back kiddo" he said messing up the girls hair causing her to groan "i'll take your bags to the car, i'll be back" he said picking up her bags and began to walk away.

the 16 year old girl looked around in glee as she let a smile grace her face, she decided she would wait for natalie to come out before she went in and surprised lydia. so sitting and waiting was the best option for now.

she took a seat next to a sleeping boy with a 'get well soon' balloon, she had recognised him from somewhere. she inspected his face a bit longer before gasping in surprise with a smirk. stilinski. he had been in the same class as she since she was in the third grade. they used to be friends, but then she got popular and he didn't. she decided to stop staring and started reading a magazine well listening to music.

――――

it had been around 15 minutes since she had sat down and was brought out of her relaxed state after hearing an ear piercing scream echo throughout the hospital. however she knew that scream. that voice. lydia.

now there were only four things selene haydes cared about in life, and those were lydia martin, jackson whittemore, and nicholas cho. and she would be dammed if she had to cut that list down to two things.

she ripped her earphones out throwing her phone on the chair running into the girls room not caring to notice stiles had gone, or that she left her phone, or the smashed glass down the hall. all she cared about was her bestfriend. and she wasn't the only one.

"lydia? lydia!" stiles stilinski screamed running in just behind the girl, straight to the bathroom to see the small mirror beside the shower shattered to pieces.

selene however was distracted by the little splatters of blood next to the shower curtain, the girl let her fingers touch it before realising that it was still wet. meaning it must've been lydia's.

the girl didn't even bother to make eye contact with the boy before storming out of the room and past all the nurses and the lydia's parents, she stood in the middle of the hallway as she felt her heart sinking.

――――

"all right, let's get an APB out on a sixteen-year-old redhead. any other descriptors?" the sheriff asked a nurse as selene leaned against one of the desks, phone gripped tightly in her hand.

"five-three, green eyes, fair skinned, and her hair is actually strawberry blonde" "she's actually strawberry blonde" stiles and selene interrupted at the same time. stiles actually taking time to notice selene's existence since arriving.

stiles squinted his eyes at the teenage girl, not recognising her. he searched his mind for who she could be. "and who are you?" the sheriff asked turning to the girl. stiles noticed the way her nose scrunched slightly as she tilted her head. he only knew one person who did that, and that person had left a year ago.

"selene haydes?" he asked well also answering or his dad. the girl turned to stare at the boy before an uncomfortable look took over her face.

"hey, stilinski" she nodded. he kept staring with wide eyes as he opened and closed his mouth like a fish. the selene haydes was speaking to him and knew his name.

"please, promise me you'll find her. i can't lose lydia" selene asked as she walked closer to the sheriff keeping a respectable distance. the man nodded as he prayed to himself they'd find the teenage girl.

"selene" natalie called out to the girl as she began to walk away, not acknowledging stiles staring as he tried to figure out why she was back.

――――

the girl hadn't gone to school the next day, she waited at the martin residence for lydia to show up. she sat on her best friends bed crossed legged for hours until her eyes couldn't take it anymore, and she fell asleep.

a few hours had passed she had guessed as when she woke up it was now dark outside, she decided she would go and brush her teeth before she went back to bed and walked into lydia's bathroom she'd be sharing. the girl tucked her hair into the hoodie she wore as her low white socks squeaked against the floor.

after finishing up she stared at herself in the mirror, the blonde highlights in her brown hair falling out in front, her black eye shadow slightly smudged, her lips chapped, and the dark circles underneath her eyes were very prominent. she washed the remaining makeup off her face before walking back into lydia's room yawning.

a girls scream fully woke her up as when she lifted her head she met the green eyes of lydia martin. however the girls hair had leaves in it and was full off mud, her makeup ruined, and she was only being covered by a blanket as the dirt was very obvious. the darker girl rushed up to her friend wrapping her arms around her.

lydia stood in shock that her bestfriend was in her room, but accepted the hug as the warmth from selene helped her. "you scared me" lydia whispered into the girls shoulder as selene didn't let go.

"i scared you!" selene started yelling before lowering her voice and pulling back abruptly. "if you ever do something like that again, lyds. i'll die" selene said, the joke tone was in her voice but lydia knew she was being serious.

"please, please, please. never again" selene said pulling the girl into another hug. lydia chuckled slightly as she let her friend hug her once more before pushing her back slightly.

"i'm a mess, we can catch up after i look good again" lydia said walking into the bathroom, blanket still wrapped around her.

selene laughed before falling back onto the martin girls bed with a large sigh, her hand made its way to her heart before it started sparkling causing her to chuckle as a tear escaped her eye. she didn't know what it meant, but she knew she was happy.