Chapter 5

"You really should stop and eat something." Wyatt's voice made Beth jump.

"You frightened me," she said, placing her hand over her heart.

"Sorry. I had sandwiches delivered if you would like to take a moment and eat something." He leaned against the door jamb, looking at Beth, who was sitting in the middle of the floor surrounded by papers.

Beth turned to look out the window and noticed it was dark outside. "What time is it?" she asked, attempting to stand without disturbing her piles of notes.

"A little after nine," Wyatt said, jumping forward to grab her as she tried to jump over some of her papers and failed miserably. Beth landed in his arms with her face pressed against his chest. It was a messy catch, and Wyatt's hand had aimed for her waist but hit a little higher, just under her breast, grazing it as he moved the hand away from her torso and onto her arm when she landed against him.

"Sorry," she said, as she pushed away from him with burning cheeks.

"It's alright," he said, stepping back. "Are you hungry?"

Beth's stomach growled at the idea of food. "Um, I think that's a yes," she laughed. Wyatt didn't return her laugh as he turned and led the way out of the room and down the stairs to a surprisingly modern kitchen.

"How long am I able to stay?" Beth asked, walking towards the sink to wash her hands.

"I'm here for a week, and I can work just as easily from here as I can at River Moss." He started to unwrap the sandwiches, and Beth's stomach growled again at the smell of them. "I wasn't sure what you wanted, so I got a few different kinds."

Beth moved to sit at the island and watched his hands as they pulled out a knife and cut long sandwiches into thirds. As he cut, a few pieces of meat fell out, and he picked them up and popped them into his mouth without thinking. Beth followed the movement, her gaze landing on his lips.

At her non-response, he looked up and caught Beth watching him. She cleared her throat and looked away, embarrassed that he had found her staring. "Where's Katherine?" she asked as she reached for a sandwich that looked like it was turkey.

Wyatt handed her a plate and then offered her a soda. Her mouth was already full, so she nodded acceptance as she chewed on the delicious bite.

"Katherine went out with a few friends." 

Beth looked at him, trying to gauge if he was upset about it or not. She couldn't tell, and it didn't help to answer any of her questions about what their relationship might be.

"Have you found anything else on your Great-Grandmother Mary?" he asked, picking up a piece of one of the sandwiches and bitting into it with even white teeth.

"Is there more to be found?" she asked, unable to hide her excitement.

"Maybe. I sent you all I knew about, but I don't know everything that's in that room," Wyatt admitted.

"Thank you, by the way." It was a thank you that Beth had wanted to give him for a long time. She could have written him a note five years ago, but she had been young and shy and wasn't sure what to say in it.

"For what," he asked, frowning in confusion.

"For making good on your promise all of those years ago and sending me the information. I really didn't expect you to do that," Beth admitted. "I also didn't know if you would even remember me if we met again."

Wyatt didn't say anything as he set his sandwich down and wiped his mouth with a napkin. "I like to keep my promises," was what he finally did say. Beth thought he looked like he wanted to say more, but instead, he picked his sandwich up again, and they continued to eat in silence.