Chapter 15

The taxi stopped, and Mave paid the driver as Beth got out of the car, trying to figure out where they were.

"Where are we, Mave?" Beth asked when she couldn't figure it out. Mave had called her last night after her drink with Mark. She wanted to know all of the details, and Beth had informed her that Mark hadn't been into her, all but ignoring her the entire time. She omitted the part about Wyatt being there.

Mave had insisted that she just hadn't given him a chance then changed the subject. It had made Beth suspicious, but she continued with the conversation agreeing to have lunch with Mave today. Mave had called her that morning and told her she would pick her up early because she had to make a quick stop before they went to the restaurant. Beth hadn't thought anything about it because Mave was always busy doing something.

"This way!" Mave called, walking a few steps ahead of Beth, who had to run to keep up with her. Beth was so intent on not falling behind that she wasn't paying attention to where they were going until it was almost too late.

"Mave!" Beth stopped at the base of the steps that led to the federal courthouse while Mave was already halfway up them. "Why are we at the courthouse? Are you in some kind of trouble?" Beth felt horrible as she hoped the answer was yes because if it wasn't, it meant Mave had gone too far.

"No," Mave said, walking back down the steps as she joined Beth. "I have a new part, and in it, I'm on trial for a crime I didn't commit. I thought we could do a little research." Mave pushed a piece of her vibrant red hair behind her ear and licked her lips nervously.

"No, thank you. You can come back when we're done with lunch. Sitting in a courtroom doesn't sound like a good time to me."

"No!" Mave reached out and caught her arm, stopping her from walking away.

Beth looked at her with narrowed eyes. "What's really going on here, Mave? Why are we here?"

"Fine! I know for a fact the Mark is handling a case this afternoon, and I thought if you could see him in action, it might catch your interest." Mave looked at her, hopefully.

"No, Mave. You need to leave it alone and leave me alone." Beth turned to walk away, but Mave grabbed her arm, once again stopping her.

"What's wrong with you! Why aren't you ever interested in any of the men I introduce you to!" She insisted as her face turned bright red in frustration.

"They're men that you pick out, not me. I didn't like Mark to begin with, and I told you that, but you ignored me. You always ignore me, and I'm done." Beth threw up her hands and stepped away from Mave, meaning every word of it.

"Tell me one viable reason why you didn't like Mark? I don't mean because he looked a certain way, or said umm to many times. Give me a real reason!" Mave insisted, crossing her arms.

"He ignored me, Mave. He didn't even buy me a drink. Then he proceeded to turn his back on me and talk to someone else for over an hour. Is that enough of a reason, or do you think a guy like that is good enough, for me at least?" Beth's face had turned red in anger.

The doors to the courthouse opened, and a stream of people came out, catching both Mave and Beth's attention. Right in the middle of them all was Wyatt. He looked spectacular in his suit. He was surrounded by a team of people listening to his every word as they moved down the steps in unison.

Beth took a deep breath. It was the first time since she had met him at the plantation that she felt in awe of him. She had avoided him then and couldn't even look at him when he talked because she was so overcome with shyness. She felt as she had then, that Wyatt Ramsey was way out of her league.