Chapter 8

It was early, just before sunrise when Beth awakened from a dream about her grandmother. Whether it was her subconscious or a real visit from her grandmother, she couldn't say, but it had strengthened her resolve. She knew what she wanted, and she wanted Wyatt. Now she had to trust that fate was on her side and would make sure it happened. It was such an about face from what she had been feeling the day before that she was giving herself whiplash. This falling in love business was an emotional roller coaster and she didn't know how she felt from one moment to the next.

This time on her walk, Beth bypassed Slave Row and headed to the dock. It was dark, with only the moon glinting off the water, but she knew the sun would start to rise shortly and color the sky with pink and purple hues.

The party the evening before had been a success. There had been enough of her family there for her to be comfortable, so Beth had laughed and chatted with the rest of them, pretending like everything was fine and always had been. She had managed, so she thought, to act like there was nothing other than a mild acquaintance between herself and Wyatt. She had even managed to flirt, if one could call it that, with Mave's co-star, Brandon Kenneth.

Beth closed her eyes and leaned her arms on the railing, listening to the birds and the wind that surrounded her, and she was peaceful in her decision that Wyatt was the one. She heard footsteps behind her and knew it was Wyatt without turning to look, and she couldn't help the little smile that came to her lips. Fate was already at work.

Wyatt moved to stand beside her, looking at the water instead of her.

"I hope you didn't take Brandon Kenneth's intentions seriously last night," he said in a gruff voice. Beth suppressed her smile as she thought he sounded jealous.

"Are you warning me away from a wolf?" Beth asked in a mild tone while knowing that he cared more than he wanted to admit. "Don't worry, I know what he wants, and it's not me." It had been before she had had her dream, so she had been a bit angsty, and perhaps she had played up to Mave's co-star a little more than usual in a subconscious attempt to make Wyatt jealous, but it seemed to have worked.

"What does he want then?" Wyatt asked.

"It's either Mave or Uncle Mason's approval, who knows." She shrugged. "Are you heading back to New York soon?" Beth still hadn't looked at him.

"I leave for the airport in an hour," he confirmed. "You sing well. I enjoyed listening to you last night." Now he was just making conversation, trying to keep it light as he mentioned the family's impromptu performance at the previous night's party. Her family had broken out into spontaneous song. It happened at most dinner parties they went to, and Beth sometimes forgot that it was not a regular happening for most people.

"Thank you. It happens a lot in my family."

"You're lucky to have such a close family, even with all of the problems you feel that it brings." Wyatt still felt hat she needed to be reasoned with, and why wouldn't he? She had had a couple of bad days, and she hadn't been herself. If she were honest she had been a bit of a drama queen, but in her defense, falling in love was not an easy process.

"I am." Beth looked up at him in the increasing light. "I had a dream last night." She informed him. This was the part where she gave fate a helping hand by unexpectedly shocking him.

"Most people do when they sleep." He sounded amused.

"Would you like to hear about my dream?" Beth asked, linking her arm through his. In part to keep him there but also to draw him close. Wyatt didn't answer right away, and Beth laughed. "It's not steamy. It actually starred my grandmother, Elizabeth," she reassured him.