Chapter 14

"I think we're ready, Wyatt," Gill, one of his associates, said as he patted him on his shoulder. They had been trapped in one of the firm's conference rooms for almost ten hours in an attempt to make final preparation for their court case the following day. 

"I hope so, Gill," Wyatt said with a friendly smile as he stood at the head of the table, organizing his notes. Everything had to be perfect. The client depended on them to get it right.

"Are you going to join us at the bar for a drink?" Lisa, a cute redheaded law clerk, asked as she gathered up the trash that had accumulated during the day.

"You should, Wyatt. It's been a while since you joined us." Mark insisted. Mark Shearborn was an up and coming star in the law firm. He had his eye on a partnership and wanted to get there fast. It made Wyatt nervous because Mark was so focused on creating a good impression that he sometimes forgot the goal that they needed to accomplish. "It's time you loosened up a little. Maybe there will be someone there worth taking home." Wyatt didn't appreciate the sentiment or the grin that followed it.

"I don't want to try and compete against all of your many charms, Mark," Wyatt drawled with mock sincerity that went right over Mark's head. Lisa got it, though, because she gave a little cough to cover her laugh.

"I'm not looking tonight, my friend," Mark shook his head with a secret smile hovering around his lips as he snapped his briefcase shut. "I am meeting a cute little blond, who I am hoping will give me a boost. She's the niece of Bryce Stevens. I met her and her sister at a dinner hosted by his law firm this past weekend. At first, I thought I'd go for her sister, but she seemed a little too high maintenance if you know what I mean?" Mark put his jacket on an adjusted his lapels using the reflection off of the window. "But Beth seemed just right."

Wyatt paused for a brief second at the sound of her name. Why in the world had Beth agreed to go out with Mark? He went back to organizing his notes. It wasn't his problem. Beth assured him she could recognize a wolf when she saw one.

Mark picked up his briefcase and then, with a grinning salute, left them.

"Putz!" Lisa said as she sat the now full trashcan down next to the door. "I feel sorry for the mysterious Beth. She's in for a very dull evening listening to Mark talk about himself. I hope she's smart enough to see through all of his pretenses." With a sigh, she picked up her files and smiled at Wyatt. "You should come though." Then she gave them a little wave and left.

"Poor Wyatt, it must be hard to have all of the single ladies fall all over themselves when you're around." Gill laughed. "It's that southern charm. You can turn it on and off like a light." Gill and Wyatt had started at the company together, and they had become decent friends over the years. "Come with us, give the ladies something to talk about for the week."

Wyatt shook his head with a smile. "I'll think about it."

"I guess I can't ask for more," Gill said with a smile as he too turned and left.

Wyatt rubbed his forehead as the papers in front of him blurred. He didn't need to go. There was no reason for him to go. It would only make things harder. Every time he saw Beth, he wanted her a little bit more. He still hadn't recovered from seeing her at the birthday party.

He shouldn't want her. He had no right to want her, and he definitely didn't deserve her, but his brain and his body were on two different pages. If he couldn't get his mind and his body and his heart to match, then he should stay the hell away from her. 

The thought of her and Mark sitting together, laughing together, and possibly doing more made him curse. Then with a resigned sigh, he quickly organized that last of his notes. Who was he kidding? He was going.