9. A hidden Treasure.

Sunlight flowed in and left Lucas momentarily blind until he made a few passes inside. A room, larger than the living space in his old apartment, was filled with a variety of stuff. Lucas stepped to the entrance and looked behind him.
"It's amazingly clean in here."
Dylan looked up. "Magda still takes the room every week," he sounded wry before his face fell. "Look in the walk-in-closet. Natalie had a real thing for scarves. I'm sure there's something most appropriate in there."
Once he was in the room, Lucas regretted that he had asked for a chaperone. The contents of the room invited admiration for all the beautiful things that lay here. Natalie had been a woman of good descent and excellent taste. Still, he could tell that she had not been frivolous about her wealth. He found her wardrobe well stocked, but also noticed that everything was worn.

Her collection of scarves was indeed impressive, and Lucas could only with difficulty keep himself from trying on the soft pashminas. He lifted three baskets to the dressing room and took a seat on the chaise longue. The sunlight glistened on the beautiful embroideries that emerged from the depths of the fabric. Wonderful, tasteful and absolutely too exuberant for Jacob's school uniform.
Doubting, he looked around until his eye fell on a small basket of knitwear. He got up and felt his heart beat faster looking at the content. The scarf, the hat and one mitten were ready. In the other mitten, knitted needles were sticking out.
Painfully swallowing, he let his fingers slide over the soft wool. He picked up the basket, closed the door and walked towards Dylan.

Without explanation, he placed the whole thing on his lap.
"I think you can do the rest without my help," and hastily left the room.
His heart broke when he heard the braised attempts of Dylan trying to hold back his tears. Even before he could stop his feet, they walked back. Silently, he stood between Dylan's legs and gently pushed his head against his chest.
Hesitantly, Dylan's arms crept up before they closed tightly around his waist and pushed him closer to him. Neither of them said a word, since at this moment all words seemed redundant.

As soon as Dylan's breathing became more regular, Lucas slowly let go. The moment the arms around his waist were pulled back, he took a step back and left the bedroom. He was grateful he didn't meet anyone. In his bathroom, his face scared him. The red blossen and the unnatural shine in his eyes were embarrassing evidence of the internal struggle he had waged. His nails were like crescents in the flesh of his palms, so much effort it would have taken him not to touch Dylan. What had begun as consolation ended in a true ordeal. He should guard against such whims and draw a line between Dylan and himself.

An hour later, Madeleine found him playing with Noah. Her eyes slid over the boxes full of clothes in the corner. "Dylan told me about your deal. I'm very proud." Lucas looked up and put Noah on his lap with careful support.
"Did he show what Natalie made for Jacob?"
She smiled warmly. "Probably for his birthday last year, but there was no one who knew anything about this. It's a truly wonderful find."
After a quick kiss on his hair she gestured to the boxes. "Would you show me what clothes Noah has for winter?"
With Noah on his arm, he got up.
"I hear you conveniently bypasses the word 'got'," he remarked acid.
Nonchalantly, she shrugged.
The subject was not broached further.

The clothes were beautiful and combined with the exclusive line of baby products specially developed for sensitive skin, little Noah would be a lot more comfortable. Lucas just folded up the last shirt when the door gently opened and Jacob looked carefully at the corner.
"Are those the new clothes?" he asked intently.
"Yes," Lucas nodded.
"They're beautiful! Just like mine."
He looked in the baby-playpen where Noah was playing.
"Daddy told me I can pick out my own clothes for my birthday party and that Honey found a present that was made by my mom?" With big eyes, the boy looked up to him.
Lucas petted him over his head. "Because cuddles aren't allowed at school, Daddy wanted to give you something that was your mom's. We just happened to run into this. Does it fit?"
"Yes," the boy nodded enthusiastically. "And also in my favorite colors." He crawled into Lucas' warm arms. "Magda said that my mom learned knitting especially to make this for me."
With a small smile, Lucas realized that Magda knew about the knitting. The woman had pointed out the existence of the room and directed everything from behind the scenes. "Magda deserves an extra hug when we see her again, don't you think, Jacob?" he said, smiling broadly.
"Yes, Honey. I love Magda."

At dinner, Dylan avoided Lucas's gaze in such a striking way that Madeleine made a comment about it.
"He's probably embarrassed because he cried when I found the knitwear," Lucas said to Madeleine. "No need for that, by the way. I'm glad to see he has a human heart," he couldn't resist adding.
"Don't get started," Dylan reflected with a cool look.
Exactly the reaction Lucas had hoped for. The line was clearly drawn again. Now it was important to keep this up.