18. Forgetting ≠ Forgiving

Although Dylan had abandoned his questions in close proximity to Noah, Lucas knew that the detailed model had exposed his living situation. Shivering, he waited for the knock on the door. When it did not come, he felt strangely disappointed.
It led him to conclude that he was ready to take matters into his own hands. And actually, he was secretly curious to find out why Dylan suddenly wanted to speak to him so urgently after years of indifference.

He drove his car to the big house, parked in a visible spot and pressed the doorbell.
Marielle opened.
"I'm here for Mr. Stone. Is he available?"
"Mr. Stone is having breakfast right now. Shall I set another plate?" she offered kindly.
"No, thank you. I've already eaten," he shook. "I'll wait in the salon until it's done."
Within five minutes, Dylan joined him.
"I wasn't expecting you until tonight at the party. Is there anything else you want to discuss with me before then?"
The relaxed attitude of Dylan, who sat back calmly in his chair, irritated him immensely. 'What kind of game was this guy playing? That day in the conservatory, Dylan had deliberately rubbed the arrival of Annika under his nose. Yesterday he was completely ignored by him.'
"You're the one who's constantly seeking contact. I'd like to see this settled for the party tonight."

Dylan observed him closely. 'What? Did he suddenly have carte blanche? No forbidden subjects?'
Lucas frowned when it remained silent. "Ask your questions," he insisted impatiently.
"Okay." 'Where do you live? Where do you work? Why are you driving that rusty heap of metal? Doesn't your boss have any trouble with your scruffy looks? By the way, talking about clothes; Why are all your clothes still here?' flashed through him. Just in time, Dylan remembered his mother's warning. Gentle.'
"How are you, Lucas? Have you settled down in your new life?"

Lucas felt his body freeze. 'Was this all? Really?' He had seen the fanatical expression on Dylan's face yesterday before he was apprehended by Noah's teacher. He had been proud of Dylan when he put aside his personal interest for his son. He had even invited him to eat at the diner which was such an important link to his childhood. A link to Lizzy.'
The door he had gently cracked open an hour ago slammed shut. Masking his disappointment, he plastered on a polite smile.
"I'm fine, thank you. In the beginning it was quite getting used to. Especially seeing the boys less. They adapted well, didn't they?" escaped Lucas before he could stop it. He cringed. Why did he ask Dylan for his opinion? Why did he ask him anything at all?'
"Hm? Yes, I think so too," agreed Dylan distractedly pointing at his watch. "Can we leave it at this for now? I promised Annika I'd pick her up from the airport," he said. "See you tonight," he added before leaving the salon.

Lucas heard the front door close and hadn't moved away from his place. Madeleine found him staring blankly in front of him.
"And? How did it go?" she asked curiously. "Have you taken the opportunity to catch up?"
Despondently he shook his head. "It's completely useless, Madeleine. Dylan's not interested in me. Not really. He left half an hour ago to pick up Annika."
"Why are you still here?"
"My legs wouldn't cooperate."
Miserably he left his head hanging. "In my mind, I had the conversation again. Our communication is amazingly good when only one of us is present," he remarked sadly.

Determined to break the depressed mood, she changed the subject and cheerfully said: "Let's focus on the fun night that's coming. Tell me who you're taking as an escort."
"Bart Jones," he confessed with a mischievous smile.
"The Bart Jones?" she repeated in astonished. "Do you really think this is a good idea?"
After a few deep sighs, he looked up to her. "Bart is my shield, not my weapon." She shook her head with a smile. "I doubt Dylan will see this that way."
"Are you afraid he's going to make a scene?" asked Lucas straightening his back.
She smiled. "Dear boy, I really don't care. I just hope you come out unscathed." "What do you mean?" he asked, utterly marveling.

For a moment, she seemed to hesitate.
"I have reason to believe that Annika will stay here more often. She just made a deal that will take her to New York frequently."
It was in line with expectations and yet he could not take the look of pain off his face fast enough.
"I'm so sorry, Lucas. Despite all my efforts, I can't seem protect you."
"Don't blame yourself, Madeleine. You fulfilled my deepest wish by making me part of Noah's life. I cherish my relationship with him and with Jake. Somewhere along the way I got greedy and I'm being punished for that now."
"What do you mean?" she asked him in an investigative recording.
"Never mind," he waved carelessly. "I'll see you tonight."