15. Old ressentiment.

Lucas, who put family above all else, had kept in close contact with all the occupants of his old apartment in recent years and mainly with the Hernandez family. Although on his seventeenth birthday he got a new car, which had to be exchanged because he insisted on a secondhand, he came to visit Lucille regularly.
Ricky lovingly kept her until a severe winter severely weakened her. A vicious nudge from a snowplow was fatal to her. Still, he didn't have to say goodbye to her completely. Ricky's eldest daughter was conceived on the back seat of the pink Mini and was named after her. The various parts were used in the garden, including the now famous back seat on which he was currently sitting.

"Yes, the family is fine," Ricky nodded as he put down the tray of coffee. "Mom is visiting a cousin in Florida and Tracy is on a training course. Her nail studio is doing great."
A broad grin appeared on Lucas' face. "So you invited me to coffee because you need a babysitter."
A light blush appeared on Ricky's weathered face. "Erm... Well... Eh... Actually, I do. Sorry."
Ricky swept with two hands through his hair. "Lucille is at school, but the twins are playing in the living room." His face stood begging. "Normally I wouldn't put you on the spot, but a buddy of mine has tickets to the Cardinals-Mets catch-up game. This is an occasion that rarely occurs," he pleaded with praying hands.
The big, wide man slumped to his knees. "Pleeaasse!"
"Okay, okay," Lucas laughed. "Please stand up. Of course I'll babysit."
With a primal cry, Ricky jumped up. "Thank you, Lucas. You're the greatest."
"I still have some things to take care of," Lucas warned. "Is it okay if I take the boys with me?"
"Sure," Ricky waved nonchalantly, too busy with his phone to tell the good news.

After sending an extensive message to Tanja, describing all the plans and receiving the approval (much to Ricky's relief), the men each went their separate way. Lucas felt more burdened than he wished to admit that Dylan had been so critical of his changed appearance. That's why he planned to go to the mall and buy new clothes. His budget was unable to match the quality of his abandoned clothing, but it would be a real upgrade from his current collection.
The twins of three; Matt and Harvey played exemplary in the mall's nursery and Lucas managed to finish his list at record pace. After he took his purchases to the car, he picked up the boys to treat them to ice cream. Under his watchful gaze, the gloating toddlers were digging into their delicacy. He enjoyed their cozy chatter and with a sting he realized how much he missed the casual time of the past. Jake was seventeen and Noah was twelve. They didn't need him as much as they did when they were kids. Leaning back, he took in the two beaming boys.

"Hello Lucas. It's been a long time since I've seen you," suddenly sounded from the left.
Lucas turned his face to the familiar voice.
"Bartholomew Jones," he said, smiling and hugging the man. "That's going to be almost eleven years."
Bart had been one of the reasons why he lasted during his senior year of High school. He had supported him unconditionally in his difficult first months of adjustments in carrying out his new duties. Dylan had been impossible, hardly allowing him room to breathe, and Bart's company had given him the outlet he so desperately needed.
"Are these adorable boys yours?" he asked, nodding at the boys who barely paid attention to him.
"No. I'm babysitting."
"Is everything all right with Noah?" informed Bart with a slight wrinkle between his eyebrows.
Lucas grabbed him by the arm. "Yes, everything's okay. Why the question?"
Bart shrugged. "Maybe the way you said you were babysitting. You sounded... lonely."
The man was shocked by the intense sadness that briefly flashed into green eyes. "Sorry, Lou. It's not my intention to embarrass me. Please let me make it up to you. Come and eat. I'm sure Jenny would love to see you."
Lucas nodded. "I think it's nice to catch up, but would you object to doing this tomorrow night? I'm still scheduled for the whole evening," he said apologetically.
"Is fine." nodded Bart and pulled a card from his pocket. "This is the address. Seven o'clock okay?"
"Okay," Lucas confirmed.
After a short embrace, they said goodbye.