Part Nine

Arabelle Warren

​"Favourite colour?" She asked, one hand on the wheel, the other holding mine in my lap. Despite going a good eighty kilometres an hour in a sixty zone, she looked over at me for my answer.

​"Green. Yours?"

​"Red." She smiled widely, and then turned back to the road. "Favourite book?"

​"The Shining," I answered.

​"Horror?" She mused, "shockingly enough, I didn't expect that of you."

​I was facing her direction anyways, my left leg bent so I could look at her as we asked questions back and forth, but I perked an eyebrow as if she could see me. And, unsurprisingly, she could, because she shrugged. "You seem like a romance girl at heart."

​"Sometimes they're good, not my favourite, though. What's yours?"

​"I'm a big fan of Oscar Wilde," she told me, smiling, "any of his works, really. Not many mortals I know read his works anymore, it's upsetting. He was brilliant."

​"You met him?"

​"Yes. He was one of my closest friends in the 1870s and 80s, and very funny. I can certainly say he was ahead of his time." She looked at me, amusement swimming in her eyes.

​Curiosity practically drowning my brain, I prodded, "What was he like? And who else have you met? Wow..."

​"He was hilarious, and intelligent beyond words. He was the one who got me into publishing my works. I had been writing longer than he'd been alive but had never published anything. He convinced me to." She paused, and I stared at her, waiting in anticipation for her to continue speaking. "I've met a few historically significant people, I assume. I met Mozart very early after I turned, and entirely by mistake. I was still with my Maker, at the time, but she hated classical music. It's all in the past now, though."

​She seemed relieved by her last statement, and I had a feeling I didn't want to ask about her Maker, regardless of my curiosity. So I didn't.

​"Huh... well, what's your favourite movie?" I asked, deciding that changing the subject was my best option.

​"Movies have only been around for not even a full half of my existence," she reminded me, laughing to herself, "and there have been quite a few eras of it. I liked the eighties, and I really liked the nineties for film. I don't think I could name any in particular, a lot of my favourite films aren't even in English."

​"Subtitles?" I assumed out loud.

​"I speak seven languages," she informed me, laughing at my dumbfounded expression.

​She pulled into her driveway then. As we exited her car together, I voiced, "What languages?"

​"Irish, Japanese, Korean, English, French, Russian, and Italian."

​She unlocked her front door and entered into the darkness. I followed behind her, closing and locking the door behind me. It was nearing nine now, and I knew if I didn't text my mother soon, she was going to start spamming my phone.

​Saoirse switched on the light that illuminated the open space, and Lola meowed from her position on the couch. She peered up at us and I grinned, making my way over to her. When I sat down beside her, she meowed again, and then slid her way onto my lap while I pulled out my phone to send a message to the family group chat.

 When I sat down beside her, she meowed again, and then slid her way onto my lap while I pulled out my phone to send a message to the family group chat