Part Eighteen

Arabelle Warren

​"Yeah, I don't think I'm going to like this topic of conversation," I retorted, scowling even deeper. Companions? I thought to myself, who did she date, dogs?

​Realizing I myself was a Werewolf, I huffed. Saoirse rubbed her palms up and down my arms soothingly, but I was grimacing into space. Thank Goddess I hadn't said that out loud.

​"It might help your tracking tomorrow if we get even a relative idea of who it might be," my redheaded mate informed the Hunter, who nodded in agreement. "We may not be correct, but it could help you cross off the list, or whatever it is that you do."

​"No, it would make things easier," Tessa agreed, "it is better than starting with a blank slate."

​"Well, first name that pops into my head is Victoria," Dot said loudly, earning a small laugh from Saoirse. "What?" the witch defended, "she was fucking psycho!"

​"She just wasn't fond of you," Saoirse replied back lightly, still laughing.

​"Yeah," Dot muttered, "psychotic."

​"She sounds sane to me," Jamie butt in, grinning from her seated position beside me.

Dot kicked her in the shin in response, and the Werewolf only laughed at her.

​"I think we first need to determine if who we are looking for was a romantic partner or a platonic friend," Tessa cut in, staring at the four of us expectantly. "Saoirse has been alive since the early 17th century, going through a list of potentially dangerous Vampire friends would take a significant amount of time."

​"Wouldn't they be romantic?" I brought up, looking at Saoirse, who had moved to stand on the right side of the table, close enough for me to reach to, but no longer behind me.

​"If they want me gone, knowing we're romantically involved, wouldn't that make them... I don't know... jealous? Why would any friend you had in the past care if you were with someone else?"

​Saoirse nodded. "I agree with you. It wouldn't make sense."

​"But it doesn't make sense why this Vampire was starting chaos before Arabelle even arrived," Dot mentioned.

​"Unless the Vampire who created the newborns isn't the same one that isn't healing these humans," Jamie retorted.

​I gaped at her. "Jesus Christ, Jamie!" It made sense. Creating a clan of newborns was a vastly different crime than not healing humans. We'd assumed this was the same Vampire, but thinking about it, why would it be? It wasn't rare to have two rowdy Vamps in one area.

​Saoirse hummed, agreeing with me. "It does make sense. Whilst my kind can commit many various crimes, we tend to have a... favourite. A go-to. For one Vampire to do two heinous things in such a short period of time is unlikely."

​"For eternal beings, you sure do like routine," Jamie snickered.

​"We stay the same forever," Saoirse replied with a casual shrug, a smile on her face. "Every species likes routine."

​"So," Tessa interrupted us again, "do you have any idea as to who it might be?"

​Dot snorted, and Saoirse sent her an unimpressed look.

​"It could be a few people," my mate admitted, "I can't say for certain I know which one."

​"Saoirse was blood thirty in the late 17th century," Dot informed us, and I had a feeling it was something my mate wasn't ready to admit, because she sent a dark look to her best friend and sighed. I looked at her curiously.