Part Seventeen

I am about half way done with chapter eighteen, so expect it up sometime tomorrow! As the ball starts rolling, updates might come quicker...

Arabelle Warren

Saoirse and I were lying on the couch, a show playing on the tv. It was nearing ten o'clock and we were up waiting for the Hunter to arrive. I was wearing some grey pajama pants and a loose red camisole and my lovely mate was in a matching set of pjs, her camisole a pale blue instead.

​I still hadn't told her what Macy had said to me, and she hadn't pushed it. As long as I looked okay and not turmoiled, she told me she would let me take my time. I knew she was eager to know, but it wasn't anything even notably interesting.

​When Saoirse had left the hospital room, Macy had waited a minute, and then she'd looked at me, eyes wide. Her voice had dropped to a vampiric tone, rather than her scratchy, dry voice, and all she said was,

​"Arabelle Warren, leave Roseburg. Get out. This is your final warning."

​After that, she turned and looked back out of the window as if I'd never even entered the room. I stared at her for a solid minute or two before I made my way out of the room back to Saoirse.

​What was that even supposed to mean? The only people in town I'd even spoken to were Saoirse, Dorothy, and Jamie, none of whom wanted me out of town.

​It meant that the Vampire had some sort of affiliation to Saoirse. It must have been that. But it didn't make any sense. This Maker had been turning vampires and wreaking havoc before I even got here, so why would my presence make any difference? Why would they want me out of town? What difference would that even make?

​It had to be connected to Saoirse, I couldn't think of any reason that I would be responsible. But I couldn't make sense of any of it.

​I knew I had to tell her, but I didn't want her to blame herself, which I knew she would. She wanted to take the blame, the baggage, for everything. She wanted to protect me from absolutely everything.

​What if she took it as she had to protect me from herself?

​I would tell her, but I might as well tell her when Theresa arrived considering she was coming soon anyways.

​Half an hour later, a knock sounded at the front door, and Saoirse and I glanced at each other. "I'll get it," I mumbled, already half up. Saoirse watched silently as I made my way to the front door and opened it, revealing a woman about my height.

​She was a blonde, straight hair to her collarbones, and brown eyes that were surprisingly warm and kind for a Hunter. Hunters were infamous for being cold and calculated, but she smiled at me kindly, and I opened up the door wider, stepping back to let her in.

​"Hello," she spoke. I paused, looking over at Saoirse with perked eyebrows. Theresa, surprisingly, had a thick Parisian French accent. Unexpected. "I'm Theresa," she introduced, "you can call me Tessa."

​"Hi, please come in," I ushered her inside, shutting the door behind her. She only had one suitcase, and I wasn't at all surprised. Hunters travelled light. I'm sure we'd be getting a bag of weapons in the next twelve hours, if my previous experience with Hunters was anything to go by.

​Saoirse was standing up now, making her way towards us. I smiled at her in a daze. Even in casual pjs, her hair falling down her back and across her shoulders, she looked remarkable. Breathtaking, even.

​"I'm Arabelle, Jada's daughter," I introduced myself once I found my head again, "this is Saoirse, my mate."

​"It's a pleasure," the French girl smiled politely. "Thank you for letting me stay in your home, I know it can be quite the imposition."