Chapter 1: Jay Doesn't Care About Elves

He peered over his book and pointed to the cover, clearly, he was not interested in anything other than that book right now.

I just let out a disapproving noise and pushed the book down.

"Hey I was trying to read! What do you want?" He whined.

"Oh well, I'm sorry for trying to converse with my best friend." I retorted crossing my arms and tilting my head away.

"Sorry I'm just addicted to this book right now."

"Well what's it about?"

"It's about this kingdom in a fantasy world where orcs and elves are mortal enemies and are fighting over an ancient land. The Elven Princess is supposed to marry the Orc Prince but she is in love with the Centaur Prince so now she has to- "

"Ok I really don't care, but, I found something today that I need your help with." I rushed.

He gave me an annoyed look but he should be used to it by now.

"Mm-fine, what did you do now." Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

"Yay, and I'll have you know that I did not cause said problem this time." I shot back at him in playfully rude manner.

"This time." He, felt the need to, emphasize that part. "Does it have to do with, you know?"

"Yes, it does so we should probably go into one of the study rooms."

We grabbed a few books, to make it look like we were actually studying, and headed into one of the soundproof study rooms.

The second we got sat down I started spewing off my story. I was also probably talking to fast but he'd still understand me.

"Ok, so, earlier in history we were learning about the French Revolution, right?"

He nodded.

"Well one of the pictures was of the guillotine and the French mob, but one of them didn't look right."

"What do you mean?" He asked with a confused look on his face.

"You have to promise not to freak out." I said seriously.

"Who do you think your talking to, I'm as cool as a zucchini. I'll be fine." He remarked rather confidently.

"Ok first off, its as cool as a cucumber not a zucchini. Secondly, I warned you." He just gave me a weird look as I pulled out my history textbook and found the picture I was referring to.

"One of the people in the crowd are wearing an Adidas hoodie." I pointed to one of the members of the mob.

Oliver stared at it for a second and then abruptly sat straight up.

"Ok yeah, I'm, I'm freaking out a little." He said flatly as he stared at the picture still.

"Hey, it's fine we just have to figure out how it happened." I tried to say in a soothing manner but then he seemed to switch gears and was more confused than worried.

"How did this happen I mean we may use the EEM irresponsibly but we were always careful when we were actually there. And, and that's not even... one of us!?!" He then started panicking again, "The shop is always locked when we're not there and to everyone else it's just abandoned!" Now he was definitely freaking out. 

He stood up, running his hands through his hair, and started pacing around the room, "I mean no one else even knows that we've ever been in the shop I mean how would, why would anyone want to go in there?!" When he started hyperventilating was when I finally stood up too.

I stood in front of him and grabbed the sides of both his arms, holding them to his side.

"Oli, breathe. In 4, hold 7, out 8." I said gingerly. "In", he inhaled. "hold", he tapped his sides counting to 7. "now out", he slowly let out the air and he visibly relaxed.

"There, now everything's going to be fine, all we have to do is go back to when this photo was taken and figure out who it was, and how they got there." I said releasing his arms from his side.

"Ok, ok yeah, yeah, we just have to fix it. Easy peasy, pumpkin peasy, pumpkin pie- "

"Language." I said sternly. Yeah, that's right, I'm the mom friend, fight me.

"Sorry." He chuckled.

"You want to come over tonight and try to fix this?" I asked him, even though he'd been coming over after school every day since 5th grade.

"Oh, I don't know. I mean I'm pretty busy with a, uh, football game cause its Friday. You know I am the captain and all." He smirked

"Oli you're the least athletic person I know, and its Tuesday." I replied, suppressing a laugh.

"Yeah ok, I'll be over at 5." He murmured quickly and we both started laughing.

A/N

ok sooooo I realized that I'm not going to be the best with a strict posting schedule since I don't force myself to write, otherwise it would turn out bad, and I've been very busy lately with quarantine stuff like trying to keep everything done so yeahhh.

Apologies in advance if my erratic posting annoys you. I'll try my best but I'd personally rather have quality over quantity, or in this case time. Hehe time machine, not doing it in time.... sorry I'll shut up now.

As always thank you for reading and have a wonderful day <3