No One Claimed They Were Observant

Thinking back on it, something about that first meeting with the batpack in Gotham always nagged at Barry. And it wasn't just that that boy had managed to figure out how he got his powers. Something was really bothering him about that parting conversation. They seemed far too familiar with each other, even if he gets kidnapped as much as they say, he shouldn't be apologizing to the League in the Batboys' place. And how would he know if they had left the Watchtower unmanned? It's not like they tell everyone when a league member goes off-

Did he say Watchtower? How did a civilian know about the Watchtower? That's not something they told people about at all.

But he and Red seem to be on rather good terms, maybe the vigilante told the kid about it to discuss whatever. Or it could have been a throwaway comment or something else that he heard about but Red doesn't seem like the kind of guy to reveal secrets (even accidentally) unless necessary, he is a Bat after all.

So then, how'd the kid know?

"Barry," his thoughts were interrupted by Arthur watching him from the doorway with a raised brow. "If you're going to mumble, at least do it at a speed other people can understand."

"Also," Hal said with a wink, "you're going to wear a trench in the floor if you keep pacing like that."

"Guys!" Barry zips over to them, not even questioning when he started talking out loud. "you remember when we went to Gotham that first time?"

A flash of residual fear crossed their faces before they nodded uncertainly.

"Okay, so the kid, the kidnapped one, what's his name, he mentioned the Watchtower, right? Do you remember that?"

Hal shrugged, having mostly repressed those memories, and any memories of Gotham trips there after.

Arthur nodded slowly though, "indeed, I do remember him saying it in passing, toward the end, I think. And the kid's name is Timothy Wayne."

Hal cocked his head, "I thought it was Drake?"

There was a flash of wind and a second later Barry was back, "it's Drake Wayne, but not the point here. He's a civilian, how did he know about the existence of the Watchtower?"

That gets Arthur more alert, but Hal just shrugs, "he was smart enough to figure your power thing out, right? Maybe he's just extremely smart? Maybe there was a conspiracy theory about it that he believed, why's it matter?"

"No, he's right, Hal, the existence of the Watchtower was extremely confidential at that time, if he knew about it, we should find out how." Arthur cut in, a concerned frown on his face.

"But it's in Gotham," Hal shuddered, "maybe we should just let Bats deal with it."

Barry shakes his head, "don't you guys find it odd how close the Bats were with Tim? I don't think they'd be the most impartial investigators on this."

Hal hummed, "that's true, they were rather close. Maybe one of the Bats let it slip once and he just remembered it?"

Arthur and Barry both shook their heads, "the Bats don't seem like the kind to let it slip on something that secret," Arthur points out.

"They are the Bats after all," Barry taps his foot against the ground at light speed, "Nightwing even told us that Batsy wouldn't let them out there if they couldn't keep secrets."

Before they can say any more, Red Robin comes stumbling in from the opposite entrance, a bouncy Nightwing skipping after him. Red doesn't seem to notice them as he zombie walks his way to the main computer, extra large coffee cup in hand and mouth moving fast enough that even Barry had a hard time understanding his mutterings. Nightwing for his part, waves enthusiastically at them as he catches Red before he can trip and face plant.

The trio watch in silence as Red types on the computer for a good five minutes, mumbling about corrupt corporations and annoying press and Lex Luthor of all people. The screen shows a long code that the three would rather not even try to decipher by the time he's done and being lead back out by the overly bubbly Nightwing.

They stand in silence for a few more minutes, absorbing what they saw, it's not the first time that's happened, but it's still an experience every time. Suddenly Barry gets an idea, a really stupid idea that has an almost impossible chance of being correct. He zips the the computer and pulls up a picture of Timothy before cropping a domino onto his face and squinting. Maybe?

The other two watch him as he pulls up the medical file of Red Robin and the civilian file on Tim Drake Wayne and compare them, Height: 5'7", Weight: 140 lb, Blood Type: O negative.

"Holy shit," Hal mutters, "what about the other Waynes?"

Barry pulls up Richard Grayson Wayne's file with Nightwing beside it, 5'10", 175 lb, AB positive. He continues until he's compared the whole lot that they can, Bruce Wayne, Damian Wayne, even the deceased Jason Todd Wayne, and they all match up.

"Oh," Arthur says, staring at the screens, "Bats isn't going to like this."

Hal shivers, "do we have to tell him?"

"He'll figure it out. It's better to just tell him we know and hope he doesn't kill us," Barry whispers.

"Oh, he won't kill ya," a deep voice murmurs from behind where they're all huddled around the computer, making them jump at the unexpected voice. They all turn to see Red Hood grinning at them dangerously, "doesn't mean the demon brat won't though."

Barry gulps, "are you going to tell him?"

Hood's grin gets even sharper if that's possible, "nah," they breathe a sigh of relief, "he already knows."

"What?" Hal and Barry squeak as Arthur spits out a startled, "how?"

"Replacement made a program that will alert them if anyone pulls up a Bat's medical files in conjunction with their civilian files." Hood shrugs, "so he's already more than aware that you three know. If we're all lucky, he'll let everyone know so we can stop with all this cloak and dagger about our idents. It's damn annoying."

There's a hum from the vents before Nightwing's voice floats down, "trust me Hood, I've been trying to get him tell more than just Uncle Clark about us, but Dad's stubborn. Can't do much about that."

"Tt, Father knows better than to trust these ingrates with our secrets," Robin says in the most scathing voice the ten year old can muster from the other doorway.

Red comes stumbling back in, "why's everyone in here?"

Hood grabs him before he can run into anything or fall, "the three musketeers over there figured out our idents, so we're hazing them."

Red cocks his head, "oh, did they finally figure out that a civilian wasn't supposed to know about the Watchtower?"

There's silence as they process that before Hood sighs, "Timmy, did you give them a hint on purpose?"

"Tt, leave it to Drake to create a mess."

"To be fair," Red says, "I was riding a 50 hour sleep dep. And I had a concussion. It seemed like a good plan at the time. B already chewed me out for it."

Nightwing sighs as he slips himself out of the vents to pick Red up, "oh, Babybird, I told you to get some sleep."

"Well," Red mumbles as Nightwing starts to carry him out of the room, Hood following, "B agreed with me. Said he'd tell the whole League when someone figures it out. I was just moving the process along, didn't think it'd take a whole year for someone to get it though."

After they were long gone, and Robin mysteriously vanished, Arthur shook his head and wandered off, Hal threw up his hands and stalked back to the Zetas to sleep at home for once, and Barry just closed out of the computer and returned to monitor duty. All three thinking the same thing; Damn Bats.