Chapter 8

Last night, Kristina and Caroline didn't push the issue, allowing me to fall asleep and get much needed rest.  I stretch out as much as I can in a twin bed, groaning as my bones crack a little. I hold back a laugh when I see my two best friends cuddled up in the other bed. Kristina looks a little like snowwhite, laying on her back, and her face calm and relaxed. Caroline is a different story, one arm flung across her head, while she lays on the other. And her leg drapes over Kristina.

I know without looking at my phone that it's early. I don't mind getting up early, it helps me be more productive. Tiptoeing to my dresser, I pull the drawer out slowly, not wanting to wake them, and grab a sweatshirt to throw on. The house is heated, but with the crisp weather in the morning, it tends to run cold.

Making my way down to the kitchen, I brew a cup of coffee and try to warm up. To do lists in my head make themselves. But before I can do anything or even think of making a decision about the Logan thing, I have to talk to Cody.

The dial tone rings only once before a grin spreads across my face from hearing his voice.

"Sister! I was wondering when I would hear from you. It's been what? Like two weeks?"

"I text you almost every day."

"Nope. Doesn't count. For all I know it could have been a robot responding, I need to hear your voice to confirm life."

I giggle into the phone. "How can we be so alike, yet so very different?"

"Is that your subtle way of telling me I'm dramatic?" he banters back.

"I never used those words!" I defend, shaking my head. "But, I'm not saying no."

"Well to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I needed to talk to my big bro." Placing the phone between my ear and shoulder, I walk to the fridge, and grab a carton of eggs and some cheese.

"Well, I'm glad you called, Rainey!" he cheers into the phone, knowing full well that I hate that nickname.

"So, what's up with you?" I ask, taking out a frying pan.

"The house is almost done. I finished the flooring yesterday, now it just needs to be staged to sell. But, to be honest, I think I might keep this one."

"Putting down some roots, huh?" I tease. Placing the pan on the stove, I turn it on. "Does that also mean my brother, the player, is going to settle down soon?"

"Well let's not get carried away. How would all the ladies feel if I was suddenly off the market?"

"How considerate of you." I put my phone on speaker and set it on the counter. The eggs crackle in the pan as soon as I crack them.

"Speaking of the dating market, Colton's still single."

"That's not a surprise, you two are commitment phobes." Taking the spatula, I gently flip over the eggs.

He gasps playfully. "We are not afraid of commitment, we just haven't found the right person to tame us."

"Whatever."

"Speaking of getting laid, when was the last time... you know?" he asks, with no shame.

"You know, we have a weird relationship." I say, having no surprise. I slide the eggs on my plate and sit back down.

"I'm just saying, sis, if you have a scratch to itch, I'm sure Colton would step in."

"I know you're joking, but I'm really not in the mood."

"I'm sorry," his voice softens. "I wasn't thinking. How are you doing?"

"That's a loaded question."

I take a deep breath. "Logan took me out to dinner last night..."