Chapter 23

I excuse myself from Kristina to go thank him before making the rounds with everyone.

He is leaning against the wall near the nacho bar table, a big smile on his face. When he sees me coming over he walks towards me.

"Did I surprise you?" He asks smirking.

"Yes!" I say hugging him. "Lucas..." I say looking around at all my family and friends, "this is absolutely amazing. I can't believe you did all of this."

He shrugs trying to pretend this wasn't just one of the greatest things someone has ever done for me. It's hard to tell with the lighting, but it looks like he could be blushing. "It was nothing."

"Not true." I argue. "This is... just perfect." I smile.

My eyes widen in realization, "is this why you were ignoring me all day?!" I ask laughing at how naive I was.

He licks his bottom lip before revealing a sly smile.

I lightly face palm myself, "oh my gosh! I was so worried you were mad at me or something!" I confess.

"No, not mad." He laughs. "I just had quite a bit to do to prepare for tonight." He explains, "plus I was afraid I was going to give it away. You have no idea how hard it is to keep a secret from you." He admits.

And I thought I couldn't like him more...

----------

This whole party was so thought out. I mean it even has a fiesta theme! It has nacho bar and a margarita station, it's amazing.

I grab a plate and load on some chicken, beef, queso, lettuce, sour cream and salsa; the perfect ingredients for awesome nachos.

I sit down next to Lucas.

"How was Caroline today?" he asks, while we are eating. "She volunteered to be your distraction, she said she was perfect for the job because she is very stealthy." He laughs.

I wipe my face with a napkin before talking. Downside to nachos, they're messy. "Her behavior was kind of odd." I answer, "but that's Caroline." I laugh.

"I hear my name!" Caroline says handing me a margarita. "Drink it!" she instructs before sitting down next to me. Kristina joins us, too.

"Were you just filling him on how great I was at keeping you in the dark today?" she asks.

I laugh, "I hate to break it to you, Care, but it was pretty obvious something was up."

"Well, you're not easy to fool!" she rebuttals, "always asking questions!" she laughs.

I take a sip of the margarita she brought me and shutter. "Oooh, this is strong." I say.

"Just drink it!" she encourages.

"I still have to mingle!" I say, "do you want me tripping as I walk around to talk to people?"

She rolls her eyes, "oh, stop being so dramatic!"

"It's your party." Kristina says, "don't worry so much, just have fun!" she says cheerfully.

"That's true! One isn't going to kill me." I say finally embracing the fun.

----------

After two, very strong margaritas, I am feeling pretty good. I left the girls and Lucas to do some mingling with everyone that was there.

My parents didn't stay long. They said they didn't want to bring down the party. Personally, I would have loved to see my mom drink a few too many margaritas and see what happened. I can only imagine the fun that would entail. But that didn't happen.