Prologue: Aster

Aster was at the Cardian Academy when the attack came.

The war had been going poorly, and soon enough the Cardian Masters were called off to fight for their planet, and he had volunteered to go with them. Their hesitation to allow a student into danger was cut off by the desperation of the times, and the knowledge of his abilities.

Leaving his friends behind, he went off to fight for his people, but it was not long after he left that the Academy itself was attacked and burned to the ground, students still inside. This had hurt him greatly, but for the moment he concentrated on fighting, on making sure the enemy payed for its actions.

Despite his renowned skills, he found himself waning - he had never had to truly fight for his life with his Cardians, and at one point he'd nearly been overrun when a blast of energy had given him some breathing space, and he watched as one of the senshi that had come out of the woodwork of the system flew by. This was not the first senshi he had glimpsed during the battle, but it was the first time he'd seen one so close, noting with surprise her tattoos and spiky hair giving her away as a member of the Meidan colony.

He had no time to dwell on that though, as while the small respite allowed him to recollect himself and the Cardians under his control, it was not long before the enemy attacked him once again.

The war had gone on like that for some time, until the Tree of Life, in a burst of energy and light, had used her power to seal away Cataclysm, ending the war as its armies retreated. Grateful for an end to the fighting and a chance to mourn his friends at the Academy, Aster returned to his home and commiserated with those survivors left.

This moment of peace did not last long however, as the Tree had expended much of her power, and there was so little energy to go around. While they could gain some from the sun and their diet of fish and vegetation, it could not sustain them.

As people grew weaker, they grew desperate, and soon a civil war erupted, fighting for the scarce energy the Tree had left, further weakening the already decimated population and leaving it defenceless for the return of Cataclysm's armies. Recognising that there was no hope left for the home-world, the Tree herself abandoned the planet in an effort to save some of her children while others fled to the colonies, Meida in particular, which had suffered very little in the attack on the system due to its ferocious natives.

Aster himself had once again been thrown into battle, and this time there was no going home.

Hating that he had no choice and grieving at the losses he had entailed, Aster created a bubble of oxygen around himself and, carrying only the clothes on his back, the whistle around his neck, and the deck of cards in his hands, left his home pla...

Hating that he had no choice and grieving at the losses he had entailed, Aster created a bubble of oxygen around himself and, carrying only the clothes on his back, the whistle around his neck, and the deck of cards in his hands, left his home planet behind.

As he rose into the sky, looking down on the ravaged wasteland of an ocean that had once been his hope, he wondered where he would go. To Meida? No, he could not sit in peace after all this. Cataclysm's forces were still out there, bringing death to all life they could find, trying to find the power they needed to free their master from the prison the Tree had trapped it in.

No, he would find them, and he would make them pay.