Chapter 2

Amarylla felt herself roused from her natural hibernation as her pod passed close enough to a yellow star that she could get some energy from it. Her little sapling could provide her some, of course, but she didn't want to tax it when it was so young. As a result, she had been putting herself in to a sort of power saving mode to conserve energy, and taking in as much sunlight as she could when it was available.

Looking around as she came back to consciousness, she noticed the life sensor blinking rather urgently. That lone signal, it was close. The realisation that she was so near to her goal kick-started her brain and she jumped into action, narrowing down the location of the Edionan she had tracked down. It was a lot harder on the small scale, but she smiled with pride as she admired her mother's handiwork. Thank you, she whispered down towards the sapling at her feet, as she pinpointed the signal to one of the moons of the lone planet of this system.

She hurriedly set a course for it, and eagerly awaited her arrival.

Her excitement didn't last long though, as despite the high speed her pod was able to travel at, it would still take her several days to reach her destination

Lying back and closing her eyes, she sighed deeply for the fifth time that wake cycle. She didn't want to hibernate while she was so close, in case she missed anything, but she also felt she would die of boredom if she stayed awake trapped in the tiny pod with nothing to do.

She was grateful for the chance to start again that her Tree had given her, but being cooped up for so long was painful. She yearned to be free again and explore her surroundings in leaps and bounds, outrunning all her friends...

Her eyes snapped wide open as she squashed the memory that had started to surface. There was no point revisiting those times. They were dead and buried. Digging them up would only bring her pain.

Emotional disaster averted, she quickly sank into her hibernation state after setting the pod up to wake her once they were in an hour's reach of the moon.

Jolted awake again, this time by her ship, Amarylla massaged her head as she came back to consciousness. Controlling the vines that made up her ship, she parted them so she could see outside, the bubble of air held inside unbroken. The moon she had been aiming for filled her vision completely.

Consumed by the excitement and trepidation brought on by the idea of seeing another of her kind for the first time in, well, she wasn't quite sure how long it had been since she'd left Meida, Amarylla feverishly searched for signs of life on the landscape before her as it steadily got closer and closer. She only stopped when a steady flashing of light in her periphery brought the realisation that she wasn't quite sure how to land this thing. A little too late to doing anything else, she quickly grabbed her sapling and braced herself for the impact to come.