Chapter 3

The landing had been rough.

In fact, rough was probably something of an understatement, though fortunately the gravity of this moon was noticeably less of than that of her home and so despite all the bumps and the shakes, everything was still in one piece.

Amarylla reached up and parted the vines of her pod before pulling herself up and out of it. Standing up with her hands on her hips she had a quick look around. The sun was bright and made it difficult to see, so she brought her arm up to shade her eyes before surveying the area again. Dark browns and dusty orange was all she saw, except for a distant grey clump of what might possibly be trees.

Jumping down off her ship she felt the ground beneath her feet. It was warm and the soil was sandy. The whole place seemed rather barren. Looking at what she hoped was a forest she was about start walking towards it, assuming that any Edionan would, and had even taken a few steps when t occurred to her that she should probably double check before going such a distance.

Leaning down into her pod she confirmed with the sensor that the other Edionan was indeed in that direction, and then considered what to do with the sapling she had with her. Deciding it should be safe enough in her pod, she closed up the vines to protect it, and once again started towards the dark smudge on the horizon.

She had been walking for what felt like several rotations and the sandy topsoil had turned to just plain sand when she came across a series of large stone outcroppings jutting up from the ground. She was at first concerned that this was all there was, but as she walked through them she could see that there was something beyond that may yet show some signs of life. She continued to move between the giant rocks absentmindedly as she played little games in her mind to keep her brain from stopping still out of boredom, when out of nowhere a dark figure lunged towards her from behind one of the boulders.

Surprised, she reflexively reached into the ground with her botankinesis to bring up some plants to defend herself with, but felt nothing. Or rather, she could feel that there was something, deep under ground, but it was too far away for her to summon and would never reach her in time. She instead tried to jump back out of her attacker's reach, stumbling due to the last second movement and trying to get her bearings. Too late she realised it had some sort of edged weapon, and she realised she wouldn't be able to dodge this, with no time to transform either. The thought that it was a sad kind of funny that she'd live through two massacres just to die on a small, barren moon in the middle of nowhere killed by some small time bandit who got the drop on her because she wasn't paying attention briefly crossed her mind, when out of nowhere another figure slammed her attacker back against the stone it had jumped out from.

Amarylla lost her footing and hit the ground, only just looking up in time to see the creature that had defended her fade away as a someone else stepped in front of her, palm outstretched. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust as he stood with his back to the sun, its light glaring around his outline hurting her eyes, but she soon recognised him as the target of her mission.

Another Edionan.

Aster art by Faun, background and shadow edit by me