Chapter 4

Green hair flowing out behind him, Amarylla looked up in shock as the home-worlder held out his hand in offering. Taking the proffered palm she felt the excitement build up inside her again and practically leapt to her feet. She wanted to say something, but too many different options were spinning around in her head. Should she thank him first? Or skip straight to celebrating their meeting? She settled on mixing them together, not wanting to leave it silent for too long as she let go of his hand.

"I'm so glad to see you! Thanks for your h-" she began, brimming with excitement, when suddenly she was cut off.

"Quiet, there could be more."

Slightly stunned by this brusque response, she quickly shook herself out of it, conceding that he had a fair point. She had already been taken by surprise once due to her lack of awareness, she shouldn't let it happen again.

"Right, of course." she responded, her voice somewhat quieter than before as she nodded repeatedly.

The other Edionan was looking around, a serious expression on his face as he pointed upwards before levitating off the ground and rising into the sky. Amaraylla was confused at the gesture for a moment, but quickly caught on and followed him into the air.

"So," she said "how've you been?" the mysterious Edionan looked at her strangely, and she cringed inwardly. She'd never had trouble conversing with people before, but with all that had happened...well, she was out of her element to say the least.

"Sorry, it's...been a while since I've seen anyone else." She gave a small smile in an attempt to repair the damage, but the man just frowned at her and looked back below, searching for more of whatever had attacked her she realised.

Amarylla sighed internally, why was she being like this? She should just concentrate and look for enemies to destroy so she could skip to the good part.

"How's your telekinesis?" the sudden question surprised her, shaking her out of her thoughts.

"What? Oh um, not great, I'm better with plants." she scratched the back of her head as she responded.

"Then you should stay here." the mysterious Edionan slowly returned to the ground, playing a tune on a small penny whistle attached to a cord hanging from his neck. A  simple card hovered in the air before him, glowing. She quickly caught on to what he was doing, and watched in fascination as a strange beast emerged from it. She had friends who were talented in the art, but she herself had never been able to summon a Cardian.

The Cardian, a lithe thing with large claws, slipped around the side of one of the jutting rocks which Amarylla now realised had an extra shadow, presumably that of the Cardian's target. 

She descended slightly and alighted on the top of the the rock that was their enemy's shelter and peered down, curious, ignoring the Cardian user's glare. She wanted to know who was attacking them, after all.

Her innocent interest in the matter died as soon as she saw it.

A corpse.

A moving corpse.

One of Cataclysm's Tarot.

Aster art by Faun, background & Tarot art by me