Chapter 10 ~ The Beginning of the End

TW!!! DEATH

The two new-found boyfriends were sleeping quietly, cuddling.

Yesterday, Kokichi and Shuichi had spent basically the entire day together. To everyone else, it was pretty obvious that they were either in love with each other and didn't know yet, or they were dating. It was pretty obviously the latter.

The only time they had split up was when they had to go to their own rooms, but apparently Kokichi had a nightmare and knocked on Shuichi's door, asking for cuddles. Though, we all know he was lying and just wanted to hug, but either Shuichi didn't know or didn't care.

They were awoken by Monokuma's annoying announcement, saying that it was 8:00 AM, time to step out of their peaceful slumber.

Kokichi's eyes sleepily fluttered open. He sat up in the bed in an effort evaluate the situation he was in. He smiled softly as he realized that Shuichi's arms were wrapped around his waist. Kokichi was wearing one of Shuichi's large shirts instead of his normal white uniform, with only boxers. Shuichi, on the other hand, only had his black pants on, no shirt.

The shorter boy patted the other's head. He slipped out from under the other's grasp. He walked around Shuichi's room, grabbing all of his articles of clothing that were thrown around the room. After he had everything except his shoes, which were by the door, he wandered into the bathroom. Kokichi slipped on all of his clothes, clasping and buttoning everything tightly.

He walked back out into the bedroom that was connected to the bathroom, where Shuichi had been left sleeping. Kokichi was surprised to see that Shuichi was up and already changed.

"O-oh! Good morning, Shuichi," Kokichi greeted, folding Shuichi's large shirt quickly with shaking hands. "Morning, Kookie~!" Shuichi responded with a smile. The shorter boy's face brightened with a pink blush at the nickname. He finished folding the shirt and dashed over to the bathroom again. "I j-just need to wash my h-hair!" he explained nervously as he slammed the door shut.

He walked up to the sink and washed his face along with his hair. Kokichi was not trying to lie to himself like he always did, he was pretty nervous about this whole relationship thing. I mean, it was his first one after all.

He dried off his wet hair with one of Shuichi's blue towels and looked himself in the mirror. He examined himself, taking note of his dark eye bags, the slight bruises and scars left. They weren't very obvious and if you weren't searching for those specific things you wouldn't notice them. He shrugged it off and set off to style his purple hair.

Kokichi tried to fix his bangs like he normally did, but he failed since he couldn't find hair gel or anything to hold his hair up. Instead, he simply put his hair up in a messy ponytail.

He walked back out to see Shuichi sitting casually on his bed, picking at his black nail polish on his thumbnail. He looked back up to Kokichi at the sound of the bathroom door closing with a soft smile spread across his face.

"Can I ask you a question, Kokichi?" he asked as he stood up from the bed, his smile fading away. The shorter boy nodded his head hesitantly. "Um, what exactly are we? Like are we boyfriends or...?" he said, trailing off a bit. "I-I'd say boyfriends, I g-guess?" Kokichi said, scratching the back of his neck. Shuichi smiled again, giggling quietly. "Y-yeah. That's what I thought, too," he said, kissing the shorter's forehead.

The black-haired boy took ahold of Kokichi's hand, gripping the small hand tightly, he thought his hands were soft. "Breakfast?" Shuichi asked, Kokichi nodding.

As the two walked through the halls, another loud announcement rang from the speaker, along with loud screams from one or two voices, maybe even more. Monokuma's voice echoed through the empty halls, Kokichi could feel his heart drop as he heard the bear say what he hoped he wouldn't say.

"A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the class trial will begin!" that bear's shrill and annoying voice spoke, sending a cold chill down everyone's spines.

Who in the world is dead?

The pair ran through the halls, trying to follow where they had heard the screams coming from. Eventually, they found themselves running towards Kaede's room, leaving Shuichi's head ringing with hopes and doubt that it wasn't her. "Please not her, it just can't be her," he rambled to himself quietly. His mumbles slowly became louder as they came closer to her room. Eventually, tears were falling from his eyes, he tried desperately to wipe them away, along with the idea that it was her.

They ran into the pianist's room, hoping for the best.

Shuichi fell to his knees and Kokichi ran behind the door, shielding his eyes.

In the same room stood Rantaro, Miu, and Kiibo.

And there in front of them, laid Kaede's cold and dead body.

As everyone else started coming into the small room, they came to the horrible and sudden realization that this whole 'killing game' thing was, in fact, real. Monokuma wasn't pulling a bluff when he rambled on about this killing game. They should've known the moment that he started pulling motives after motives.

Kaede sat there completely lifeless. Even though he heard the body discovery announcement, Rantaro put his hand on her cold wrist, hoping desperately for even the smallest pulse. There was none.

Shuichi let out a choked sigh in-between his quiet sobs. He wiped his eye, his hand rubbing off some of his black eyeliner. He pushed himself up to stand, despite his shaky legs protesting, he sat next to Kaede's lifeless body and began his investigation.

He immediately noticed that Kaede was lying in her bed, in her pajamas, a little bit of blood present on the collar of her shirt.

>Bloody pajamas

Shuichi examined her body handlessly and found a pillow on the ground. He picked it up and saw a bright pink blood splotch right in the middle of it.

>Bloody pillow

He looked on further and saw a harmless glass of water present on her bedside table, halfway full or is it halfway empty? Whatever, doesn't matter now. He found a medicine holder next to the glass.

>Halfway empty (or full?) glass of water

>Medicine holder

The young Ultimate Detective decided to press on further and investigate the blonde girl's body.

He first examined the body. There was no sign of struggle present. So nothing to really take note of.

He looked on more. Her face was going to be a particular focal point, so he studied her features. Her eyes were closed, so Shuichi opened them. They were just as dead, blank, and emotionless as you'd expect, so he re-closed them. He examined every part of her face carefully. He noticed her tightly closed lips and opened her mouth.

>Bloody mouth

He closed her mouth gingerly and pulled her blanket up over her entire body. Shuichi didn't want to look at Kaede's body much longer, tears were already filling his eyes. It was too much.

Just because he had finished analyzing the scene doesn't mean he was finished investigating altogether. The slightly tall boy stood up and straightened his back. Shuichi had decided that he wanted to ask all the other students, just in case they may have something of good use.

Hey guys!! Sorry for my horrible inactivity, I've just been feeling a little bad lately! But I finally got this chapter out! The next chapter may be either way shorter or way longer, depending on whether I decide to end it here or there, haha! Any who, if you want to follow me on Instagram, my user is @/ky_dont_care_. I might post updates of some stories on there so go check it out!

1320 words