Author's Note and Prologue

Hey, hey, hey! What's up, you guys?

My name's Amy, and I'm an 18-year-old communications student from the Philippines! Because of COVID-19, I have nothing much to do, and well, I spend most of my free time here on Wattpad to write a bunch of stories. I have another account for a different fandom, so this one's just for the rest of my fandoms. However, all of my books here so far are for Smosh, because it's the fandom I'm in lately.

Some of you may know me from the books I've written! Here's a list of them.

1. A Wrench in the Gears [Damien Haas]
- Damien Haas falls in love with reporter Jade Greene whom he meets in a stuck elevator, only to discover they'll be working together on a collaborative project. Somehow, destiny works perfectly for them.
- Damien x OC (Jade Greene)
- 2200+ words per chapter
- 25 chapters, 2 author's notes

2. See You at Seven [Shayne Topp]
- After dying and arriving at the purgatory called the Middle, Shayne Topp teams up with renegade lawyer Alex McConnell to save the afterlife and falls in love with her in the process.
- Shayne x OC (Alex McConnell)
- 2200-3200+ words per chapter
- 15 chapters, 2 author's notes

3. The Three Laws of Motion [Damien Haas, Shayne Topp, and Ian Hecox]
- Three Smosh boys with fifteen different short stories of falling in love with the reader.
- Damien x Reader, Shayne x Reader, Ian x Reader
- 2200+ words per chapter
- 15 chapters, 2 author's notes

4. Almost, But Not Quite [Damien Haas]
- By using an app of 90s style communication, Damien Haas falls in love with his neighbor Jade Greene, who happens to be on the other side of the screen. Both of them have no idea they're talking to one another.
- Damien x OC (Jade Greene)
- 3000+ words per chapter
- 20 chapters, 2 author's notes

Feel free to check them out! But for now, here are some reminders for this fanfiction:

- All chapters will have 2200+ words per chapter.
- The points of view will alternate between Shayne and Courtney in every other chapter.
- Chapter titles are all Shayne's and Courtney's iconic lines from Try Not to Laugh, because everyone enjoyed it apparently in A Wrench in the Gears.
- The prologue will be set in February 2019 at Mythical. The rest of the story will be set in February 2020 onwards.
- Odd-numbered chapters would be in Shayne's point of view, while even-numbered chapters would be in Courtney's.
- This fan fiction is both romantic and comedic (hopefully I hit the right buttons to make you guys laugh)!

Let's begin, shall we? The prologue will be in Shayne's point of view. See ya!

-/-/-

FEBRUARY 2019

-/-/-

"Ground rules," Ian says as he stands in front of us. "We're starting anew, and I want you guys to be serious about doing work here, even though work isn't technically serious for us. But you know what I mean. We'll still have fun, but now with one goal: being a legit company."

This was our first week at Mythical, and it was beyond exciting. Being at Defy restrained us from making content that wasn't detrimental to us, but now we finally get to do what kind of content we wanted to do. I was beyond happy, because my schedule now isn't that constrained for me to finish my last few classes at ASU, to shoot at The Goldbergs, and being here too. Ian was a pretty chill boss, and he's doing a great job at being one. Damien and I actually talked about how Ian's starting out at running Smosh on his own with Ryan Todd's help and what it could have been like if Anthony had stayed a little longer. He probably would have enjoyed this, but being here at Mythical wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Ian choosing Rhett and Link.

"So we'll be assuming a lot of new roles now here at the office," he continues. "Anyone can write, anyone can act, anyone can direct. Ryan T., you're still my main man here, so you know what to do. Ryan F., follow his lead. Smosh Squad, let's continue being a good Smosh Squad. Smosh Games, continue being good at games. In short, many things will be the same, but we can intertwine our jobs here for efficiency."

"Synergy," Matt says, laughing.

"Ugh, hate that word," Ian remarks, poking his tongue out. "But always, we gotta thank Rhett and Link for saving our asses from unemployment. They're just next door so that's easy. Um... well, I'm just overall glad we're here, guys. We actually made it, and now we're running Smosh on our own."

I glance at Courtney from across the table. Nothing's changed with her, even though we barely saw each other in the past few months. I had decided to use up the time of the shutdown to finish more classes and work at The Goldbergs, and I wasn't very present during meetings at Ian's house, so I hadn't seen her for a while. Still pretty damn beautiful.

Now, Courtney and I are best friends, but there will always be a part of me that wishes for something more to happen. I wouldn't dare to say it out loud, because I loved Smosh more to lose my job because of an office relationship. Besides, aside from the fact that she wasn't really interested in having a relationship now, the two of us just couldn't meet eye-to-eye at where we stood. Sometimes, she felt more than a best friend, but most times, we were just casual. I couldn't look at her as a sister like Ian does, because I liked her.

Maybe in a few years, we'd have the right time, but if we loved Smosh enough to stay, I don't think we ever will have that perfect timing.

"I'm still thinking of other ground rules before we pop open the champagne," Ian mumbles, rubbing his chin. "Uh, yeah, okay. No office relationships, or at least no display of affection in the office. Friendly affection's okay, but romantic, well, no. Let's stay professional, people."

Maybe we never will have that timing. As Ian pops open the champagne and pours a bit for everyone except for those who opted for sparkling juice instead, I clink my glasses with Courtney, who's smiling brightly at me.

"Here's to us!" she exclaims, clinking our glasses together.

"Here's to us," I reply before we drink the champagne together, not knowing that the next year we did that very same thing, the greatest mishap of my life would happen, and my heart secretly wanted it.

-/-/-