Chapter 10

Shortly thereafter, Susan and Lucy walked down the path, passed Hagrid's abode, a little into the Forbidden Forest, to the small cottage that was to be Susan and Cyrus' (Caspian) temporary new home. The cottage was not very pretty. Outside was caked with dirt, and the paint was long since faded. Inside was worse. Within the cottage was a large stack of dirty dishes, pots, and pans. A wood table had two wooden chairs, one of which had three of its legs broken. A thick layer of dust covered everything, and hardly a single corner didn't have cob webs. Though, on the bright side, the water and electricity were running splendidly.

Susan set the few cleaning supplies they had brought on the front steps and continued in towards the remaining rooms (two bedrooms and a washroom) so she could finish the list of supplies that they'd need.

"Scourgify!" Lucy cast first on the cupboards and kitchen sink, cleaning it so she could then flick her wand to have the dishes wash and dry themselves with the soap, sponge, and towel that the two girls had bought with them.  With that taken care of, Lucy cast in quick sucession, "Tergeo, Scourgify" followed by a "reparo".

An hour later, having taken care of and stocked up everything indoors, Lucy and Susan painted the freshly cleaned outside cottage walls a pastel yellow and the window shutters a periwinkle blue.

"Lucy,"

"Yes Susan?"

"I'm sorry."

"What Susan?" Lucy paused mid stroke.

"I'm sorry. I was angry, sad, and hurt that I couldn't return to Narnia, and I took it out on myself and all of you. I'm truly sorry Luce. You were right, you know. Once and king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia. You are very much Queen Lucy the Valiant, Peter-King Peter the Magnificent, Ed-King Edmund the Just, and I am Queen Susan the Gentle. "

Lucy grinned ear to ear. Dropping her brush she dashed forward, enveloping Susan in a tight hug. "It's good to have you back!"

Susan smiled as she hugged Lucy in return. "It's good to be back."

__________________________________________

That evening, the night before the students were to arrive, Severus returned to his quarters at Hogwarts, sorrowful.

"Dad!" Lucy exclaimed at the sight of his expression and posture. "What's wrong?"

"By the end of the school year, Dumbledore will be dead."

Lucy froze only a moment, "What do you mean? By illness or..." Lucy led him to the couch.

"The curse from the horcrux of Marvolo Gaunt's ring will end him in little over a year, however, Draco had been ordered to kill him. I am to aid him, but if he fails I must do the deed else face imminent death from breaking an unbreakable vow between myself and Narrsissaca, witnessed by Bellatrix."

Lucy stood to get a glass of water for him. "This is the last year of peace, however peaceful, isn't it?"

__________________________________________________

Lucy sat with Ginny, Ron, Harry, and Hermione, knowing full well the storm approaching but choosing to live the school year to its fullest before the downpour anyhow. She'd get a jacket and umbrella, but she was not going to shun the sunlight that still illuminated them.

After the sorting and feast Dumbledore began his yearly speech.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn has agreed to resume his old post as potions master."

That means Dad will be the DADA Professor. I wonder if he'll continue to tutor me? With what's coming, probably. Lucy thought idly as the students clapped politely.

"Meanwhile, the post of the Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." Dumbledore added. Clapping ensued, first from mostly the Slytherin table, but spreading. Lucy elbowed Ginny leading to only Lucy, Ginny, the first years, and a few others of the Gryffindor table clapping. "You should be more polite." Ginny told the trio in defense of her their stares at her and her friend.

Once the clapping died down Dumbledore continued, "Now, as you know, each and every one of you  was searched upon arrival tonight."  Lucy, having arrived days before, had not been searched. Carefully glancing around with just her eyes, Lucy saw many heads nodding. "and you have the right to know why...Once there was a young man, like you, sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, stepped under its roof, seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name, Tom Riddle. Today of course, he's known all over the world by another name, which is why as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls, but in the end, their greatest weapon, is you...Just something to think about." Suddenly switching to a cheerful tone he bid them, "Now, off to bed, pip pip."

"That was cheerful." Ron sarcastically remarked. Lucy was inclined to agree with him.