𝚝𝚠𝚘

The Opal siblings soon found an empty compartment and were shortly joined by the Pevensies

The Opal siblings soon found an empty compartment and were shortly joined by the Pevensies. The train journey seemed awfully long and with the sound of Lucy sniffling, Edmund grumbling and Peter and Elmer talking about the soldiers in the station and how brilliant they looked in their uniform, Phillis found nothing else to do other than read a book. It had been one her mother had given her for her eleventh birthday, but she loved it nonetheless. Eventually, Susan and Phillis slid into easy conversation about some of the main characters after Susan had mentioned that she'd read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lucy eventually joined in, despite having not read the book. Edmund glared out of the window as Peter and Elmer discussed what going away to war would be like. Quite frankly, Edmund was disgusted that all of his siblings had chosen to converse with Elmer and Phillis Opal instead of him, their own blood and flesh.

Eventually, they arrived at a pathetic excuse of a station. It was empty and the big sign read: COOMBE HALT. At the sound of a car, the six children picked up their cases and ran towards the noise, only to watch in sadness as it drove away. "The professor knew we were coming," Susan sighed.
"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled," Edmund said, checking his label to see if they had in fact been incorrectly labelled.
Susan and Peter sent him a look, as Phillis internally rolled her eyes. Anything that came out of that boy's mouth seemed to irritate her. As Edmund said that, a sound of hooves against the dirt track echoed throughout their ears. A beautiful grey horse pulled a cart up beside the six children. "Mrs. Macready?" Peter asked, hopefully.
"I'm afraid so," a woman, with small spectacles and thin eyebrows, said. She had a stern look not only on her face, but in her eyes. Phillis shifted uncomfortably under her gaze and Elmer hugged her closely. "Is this it then? Haven't you brought anything else?" Mrs. Macready asked, with an accent that Phillis deemed to be Scottish.
"No, ma'am," Elmer spoke up. "It's just us."
"Small favours," she muttered before gesturing to the cart she was sat upon.

When they pulled up to the house, Phillis couldn't help but be slightly amazed. It was so large and the architecture was simple but brilliant. This was the sort of house her parents could afford, with the earnings from Virginia's literary pieces, but preferred to stay in Finchley next to the Pevensies. When they entered, it only seemed to get more impressive. It had a sort of dusty smell, which Phillis usually hated, yet she didn't mind it in this home and actually thought it rather complimented the general feel to the building. "Professor Kirke is not accustomed to having children in this house," Mrs. Macready began. "And, as such, there are a few rules we need to follow. There will be no shouting. Or running. No improper use of the dumbwaiter. No touching of the historical artefacts!"
Mrs. Macready glared at Susan as she quickly pulled her curious hand away from said historical artefact. Elmer, Peter and Edmund shared a look of shock and disbelief, accompanied by a smirk. "And above all, there shall be no disturbing of the professor," she finished.

Later that evening, Phillis lay curled up on a large armchair in the corner of the room she was to be sharing with Lucy and Susan. She had the same book clutched between her slender fingers as the radio filled up any lull in the conversation. Except there wasn't any conversation. It was just silence amongst the children. Phillis pretended not to be listening to the broadcast, as her mother had said it was unladylike to get caught up with matters like a war. Susan turned the radio off as Phillis noticed Lucy sniffling in bed. "The sheets feel scratchy," Lucy muttered as Susan and Peter went to sit on the bed beside her.
"Wars don't last forever, Lucy. We'll be home soon," Susan reassured the youngest of the six, her soothing tone warming Phillis' heart too.
"Yeah, if home's still there," Edmund said.
Phillis scoffed, rolling her eyes at the boy. He was so inconsiderate. "Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan rolled her eyes at Edmund.
"Yes, Mum," Edmund said sarcastically.
"Ed!" Peter snapped.
Edmund sighed slightly before Elmer spoke up, joining Susan's side. "You saw outside. This place is huge," Elmer smiled down at her.
"We can do whatever we want here," Peter nodded. "Tomorrow's going to be great. Really."