Chapter Five, Jordan: Autumn is Beautiful

It's finally Friday. You do not understand how long I've been waiting for this! I've gotten way too much work and assessments. Like at this point, it's not even funny. It's so hard to comprehend anything because of all the stress that's piling up onto me. I cannot take it. I need a break. It's 6 p.m. and I've been here, staring at this stupid essay that isn't even complete. I feel like going to Tim Hortons and getting an iced cap. I miss Noah way too much like why did he have to go to Puerto Rico without me!? Man, I could really use a vacation. I throw my pencil onto the desk, get up and grab my wallet from my nightstand as I go downstairs to the kitchen to tell my mom I'm leaving.

"Mom, I'm going out to Tim Hortons and I'm going to get something to drink. Do you want anything?" I ask.
"No it's alright. Curfew is 11 since you're probably stressing over all the work you've been getting this week. You deserve a break, honey," she replies. I'm so thankful that she's my mother. I don't know what I would do if she wasn't.
"Thanks, Mom. Also is dad coming back Saturday?" I ask.
"Sadly, no. His business trip got extended 'till next Thursday."
"Oh okay. Alright, I'll see you later," I say.

I go to the front foyer, and put on my least favourite pair of shoes, my Skechers. As I leave the house, I debate whether or not I should take my car. Well... it's golden hour right now so I should have enough time to get there and back before it's dark, and I want to go on a walk. It'll be nice. Timmies isn't too far by walking, only a 10 minute walk. I get onto the sidewalk, looking at all the trees, the green grass, the already fallen leaves. Autumn is beautiful. Wait, I meant the season! Not that Autumn, my next door neighbor Autumn is beautiful too but I meant the season. Ugh, you get what I mean!
Just as I start passing by Autumn's house, I hear her door shutting and her yelling "BYE, MOM." I look to my right and see her leaving her house. I wonder where she's going.

"Hey, Autumn!" I say, waving to her. Shit. I bet this is awkward for her.
I see her turn around and look at me. She waves back and walks over to me.
"Hey!" she says.
"You're leaving, too?" I ask.
"Yeah, I'm going to Tim Hortons. All the school work is so exhausting," she says. I smile at her.
"Same! I have to do a few projects and an essay that my history teacher, Ms. Fallington, gave. All this work is wearing me out so I just decided to go to Timmies to get an ice cap," I reply then ask, "since we're already going to the same place, wanna walk over together?"
Honestly, it would be nice to catch up with her. It's been a while since we've actually hung out and I miss her more than ever. I need my childhood best friend back... Even though we're not exactly best friends at the moment, hopefully we'll bond and become friends again.
She thankfully agrees and we're on our way.

***

As Autumn and I reach our homes, coming back from Timmies, we wave goodbye and walk into our homes. It's 10:00 and I go upstairs to my bathroom to take a shower and brush my teeth. Afterwards, I change into my second comfiest pair of sweatpants. It's way too hot to keep a shirt on for the night so I just stay shirtless. I look out my window and I see Autumn in her room. To be honest, she does look cute. I don't understand why the hell Coraline keeps telling Autumn that she's ugly. Like damn, Coral doesn't have any good taste. I wave to Autumn, hoping she sees me. She looks out her window for a few seconds, staring at me. She finally waves back. I hope she's okay.

I turn around and ruffle my hair with my hand as I jump onto my bed. I'm trying to grab my phone from my nightstand when I get a Facetime call. It's from Noah. WAIT IT'S FROM NOAH! FINALLY! I answer the call.

"NOAH! How is Puerto Rico, bro!?" I ask, with a load of excitement in my voice.
"BRO! There are so many hot chicks here. Like you don't even understand! I even got a few girls' numbers!" He says.
"Really? Oh shit, I didn't know that the women there had such bad taste in men. I feel bad," I say.
"Haha, very funny. I know you're joking, and that's why we're best friends!" He replies with a smile.
"What time is it over there, in Puerto Rico?" I ask.
"Uh, It's 1 a.m..." He replies.
"Dude! Go to sleep!" I joke.
"Oh hell no! I need to enjoy my time here before going back to that horror place y'all call 'school'," he beams through the screen.
"You have a point. Don't blame you. Alright, but I need to sleep. There are so many projects and essays assigned! I'm so fucking tired because of it. Oh, I've been meaning to tell you, Autumn and I are hanging out more. Our moms made me drive her to school and back every day and surprisingly, it's not that bad. It was really nice to catch up with her. Plus, this evening, her and I went to Timmies together. She told me that Coral was being rude to her by calling her 'ugly, annoying, fat, and shit like that, and I felt so bad. I'm probably going to talk to Coral today. If not, tomorrow," I remark.
"Oooh! Sounds like somebody's got a crush!" He sings.
"Noah! I don't like Autumn that way. I have a girlfriend, for crying out loud. But even if I did like her like that, I'd have no chance with her," I respond.
"Mhm," he says with a smirk. "That's what they all say. It's good you both are bonding again, though! I'm happy for you two. Anyways, Imma let you go to sleep so you can dream about Autumn. Goodnigghhtt!" He jokes. Right when I yell his name, about to argue, he hangs up. Typical Noah.

But why on Earth would he think that I like Autumn!? Of course I don't...Do I..? No. I have a girlfriend and it's unfair for me to do this to Coral. I sigh.
Fuck.