Chapter 8, Autumn: Fofo!

I’ve been curled up in bed since last night and haven’t left except for the washroom. I sit in the crowd of stuffed animals, reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I’m at the part when Hazel and Augustus are in contact with the author when a knock sounds at my bedroom door. I don’t bother getting up and yell for whoever it is to come in so they’re able to hear me.
“Heyy Bear, someone came knocking on our front door,” mom says, revealing Rose behind her.
“Hey, bear,” she says, mocking my nickname, but I don’t care, “we’re going out today!” she continues, exclaiming as mom exits my room.
“Uh, no we’re not,” I say, still eating my snacks while reading, not bothering to look up.
“Uh, yes we are,” she says walking over and snatching the book from my hand.
“HEY!” I yell.
“Come on Autumn! Let’s go to the fair! It’s its last day today so let’s enjoy it!”

“No, stop!” I tell her, getting annoyed, snatching the book back but this time she pulls me up from the bed, taking the book back and putting it away on my desk. Darn those muscles. Volleyball really does help build after all.
“Hmm, let’s see,” she says as she examines my closet.
“Okay, look,” I say, sighing, “I’ll come as long as you let me wear what I want. And buy me ice cream.”
Rose squeals, “YES, DEAL!”

***

“Two strawberry ice cream waffle cones, please,” Rose says over the counter. She hands me one of the cones, as promised, as she pays and we walk around.
Mmmm, this is too good.
We walk over to a nearby bench and sit down munching on our ice cream cones as little kids run past. I spot a couple making out on one of the other benches nearby. Uh, there are little kids here, get a damn room.
I’m almost done with my ice cream so I walk over to the trash can, finishing it up when a tall and built body smashes into me, resulting in me almost falling but not quite and the remainder of my ice cream on my sweatshirt. Ugh.
“Oh, I’m so sorry, so sorry,” the person says, holding me back at arm’s length.
“Um, yeah, don’t worry, it’s okay,” I tell him. Goddammit, my sweatshirt, “Imma just go clean my shirt,” I say and start to head back when he calls for me, “Hey wait.”
“Uh, I’m just kinda new to town, not really familiar with it, but you seem like you’ve been here longer...do you mind if we exchange numbers?”
Hm. I ponder his question for a while. He seems really sweet, and it won’t really hurt if I give him my number, I can always block it..Good-looking guys aren’t kidnappers. Jordan isn’t. What? No, never mind that.
“Sure.” We exchange phones as we type each others’ numbers in. “And, uh, I’m Hunter Anders.”
“Nice to meet you, Hunter. I’m Autumn. Autumn Wilson,” we exchange smiles and I make my way to the washroom. 

***

After I’ve cleaned myself up, I head out to find Rose and tell her what happened. She starts wiggling her eyebrows. God.
“Anyway, let’s go play a game,” I say, changing the subject.
“Ooh, how about that basketball game down there,” she points ahead.
“Sure!”
We head over and pay the guy over the counter. I start shooting the hoops and not going to lie, I’m not bad. I keep shooting, keeping my score. Rose is beside me cheering me on.
“Yes!” She says after every shot.
DING DING DING.
The buzzer goes off, showing I’d beat the high score and I’m actually sweating. God, that was so fun though!
“You can choose a stuffed animal,” the guy over the counter says.
I scan the little variety of stuffed animals on the side and spot a really cute frog among the bears and ducks. One of the ducks reminds me of when Jordan and I went to this fair when we were younger and he won a yellow duck. He had offered it to me but I refused to take it. I don’t really recall a reason why I didn’t take it. Why does everything have a Jordan memory related to it? I’m here to take my mind off him. So I do. I ask for the frog and the guy hands it over to me. Rose squeals at the sight of the frog and I join in.
“I’m naming him fofo,” I tell Rose, making up the name on the spot.
“Well that’s...creative. What kind of name is that?” She asks, making fun of me. That’s our kind of friendship. We diss each other till no end but we still love each other endlessly.
“Oh, shut up, Rose, you couldn’t even beat the high score,” I say and she rolls her eyes at me.

We link our arms through and walk over to a burger stand since we don’t like hotdogs. I order a classic burger and so does Rose. We pay the lady over the counter and head over to a mini book fair as we scan the shelves and shelves of books. My first love. Books. Books never leave you. Books never ditch you for random assholes that are no good. Books are actually there all the time unless you’re the one who gets rid of them. And in this case, I didn’t. 

***

I’m walking into the school building when someone suddenly yells from behind me and I shriek.
Hunter. He goes here?
“God, you scared me!” I yell, “but wait, hold up, you go here?”
“Well, yeah, what else would I be doing here?”
“Hopefully not stalking me,” I joke as we head inside the school building.
“Funny,” he says with sarcasm.
“No really, are you stalking me?” I joke again.
“Har-har.”
We laugh and I ask him what he has first period as the bell rings and the hallways empty.

 “I have English, so I’ll see you later, come sit with me and my friend at lunch,” I invite him.
“Thanks, I’ll be there,” he says as he walks the opposite way, smiling.
I’m walking to class when someone suddenly grabs my arms. I elbow the person because of my reflex and look to find Jordan. Shit.
“Oh god, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that, I didn’t know it was you,” I tell him.
“Don’t worry about it. Autumn, please, forgive me. I’m sorry. I really am,” he says getting right to his point.
How am I supposed to forgive him? It hurt. It really did. I look at him for a few seconds.
“Please, Autumn.” He says just when the late bell rings.
“I have to go, J,” I say.
“Autumn…”
“I really do, I can’t be late to class, see you later,” I mumble as I start to leave when he softly grabs me by the elbow again.
“Can I call you? Later tonight?”
“Jordan..I need to go,” I say firmly as I wriggle myself out of his grip and speed-walk to class, leaving him alone in the corner. 

***

Later that night, I’m sitting in bed reading again, when my phone buzzes on my nightstand. 

Hunter:
Heyy

Hunter? Who? OH wait! Hunter! Oh my god. I text back hi and ask how he is. Our conversation lasts at least half an hour, talking about school, when I suddenly get that jolt of reality. I really do miss Jordan. And as much as I’m trying to deny it, I’ve caught feelings. Anyone could tell. Hunter can mess things up, but that’s if I let him. I need to think.
I climb out of bed, grabbing my pillow and blanket and walk out through my small balcony and onto the treehouse. As I enter, I see a shadow in the back corner and walk over.

***

I took his pillow and blanket. I couldn’t help it. That was some night. I need him back here though. I keep Fofo next to me. God. It’s almost midnight by now so I climb back into bed, taking the pillow and blanket along with me. That night, I don’t have trouble sleeping. 

--------------------------

Sorry for the late post. We appreciate feedback on the story! Thank you for your support!