Chapter six

The next few days were silent. All of the inmates involved in the fight in the cafeteria were restricted to their cells only. No outside privileges.

The halls are empty. It's late at night and my shift is almost up. I walk into the training room. Its a large room with the same white walls as the rest of the place.

The floor is lined with blue mats. This is where I trained to become the warrior I am now. It is hard to get into the Guard. You have to be training since you could walk. And I had been.

Ever since I was little my parents pushed me to learn how to fight. Just like my father. He was head of the guard for many years. I had finally lived up to his legacy.

"I did it dad." I whispered into the empty room.

Don't worry he is still alive. Retired and moved to a nursery home, where he can die peacefully. I go and visit him some Sundays. I haven't been in a while, though.

I look around at the blue mats. It feels like just yesterday I was working hard, training to be a weapon.

I close my eyes and see myself sparring with Amber. She is on top of me holding my leg back to my head as I am trapped on the mat.

"Now it is time for your test." I heard the instructor say. She is a tall slender woman with blonde hair pulled so tight into her bun we always joked that her head would pop one day.

It never did.

All of the trainees had bright eyes and we all wore yellow jumpsuits. Yellow was a low ranking color. As the color yellow isn't very threatening, we were just starting out.

"Form a line." She ordered. We fell into a line at the edge of the mat, awaiting our next task.

"Since Aiden is at the top of the class," She nodded her head to a boy with bleach blonde hair and ocean eyes, "You will all be sparing with him. Whoever wins will take his place" She spoke with such confidence. My eyes lit up.

I wanted to be at the top. Back then I didn't know Aiden well. I just knew him as competition. I wanted to be better then him. As soon as he entered the Academy he quickly rose to the top of the class. It was unfair. He had strength that outmatched most.

"Heidi, you're first." She nodded at me. I smiled as I jumped onto the mat, my eyes meeting with Aiden's crystal blue ones.

"You're going down." I peeped as he and I moved slowly in a circle, arms raised, ready to fight.

He may have strength that would outmatch me, but I was smarter than him.

"Not a chance." He grinned as he lunged for me. I jumped out of the way lightning fast and he toppled over onto the mat.

He lifted himself up with his arms, his playful look faded from his face.

In an instant he was back on his feet and he hurled for me again. I dodged him, but his arm grabbed my waist.

I fell onto the ground and swiftly wrapped my legs around his neck, pinning him to me. I put my arms above my head and trusted up, rolling us over to where I was on top of him.

He grunted and grabbed my wrists.

We both felt a spark.

I open my eyes. I will always remember that day. The way his eyes softened when he realized we were mates. He had immediately let go of my hands, allowing me to put my knee on his neck, winning the match and taking his place.

Everything changed as I realized I had found the other half of my soul. I vowed to love him until death.

I miss him every moment he is gone.