Chapter twenty five

"Come on, get out of the water. You'll freeze to death" Zane begs from atop of the cliff but I refuse. 

I stay at the bottom of the cliff, treading the chilling waters. I am completely submerged and utterly naked. I am not going to give him that satisfaction. 

"Should've thought about that before you tried to drown me!" I growl. 

He rolls his eyes before turning and walking out of view. I tilt my head at the empty rocks above me. Did he leave?

A few moments pass as I quietly listen for any movements. The only sounds I hear are the quiet waters hitting my skin. The breeze softly blows the blades of bright green grass at the top of where Zane was just standing. 

I finally hear a thud behind me. I turn in the water and see Zane standing at the shoreline, a black backpack at his feet. 

He folds his arms over his chest. Waiting. 

I remain still. 

"Inside the backpack is clothes, Heidi, now get out of the water." He scowls, the glare setting on his face once again. 

"Just so you can drag me back?" I counter. 

"Not quite yet, I want to show you something." he explains before nodding his head towards the back pack. 

"Turn around." I order. He provides an amused smirk, tilting his head to the side. The arrogant Alpha only seems amused by my embarrassment. 

Red flushes my cheeks at the thought of him gaping at me as I exit the water. 

"You do not have anything I have not seen before." he says coyly, his eyes alight with amusement. 

I click my jaw shut for a moment. He's challenging me. A game he created just to see me squirm. Not today, Alpha. 

"Fine then I guess I'll just stay in here for a while." I flash him a toothy smile with a hidden snarl behind my eyes. I make an emphasis by spreading my arms out in the water, feeling the cold liquid run through my fingers. I make an attempt to look as relaxed as possible, as if I could swim here all day. 

He scoffs and rolls his eyes. He stands there for a moment, debating if he should threaten me some more. He runs a hand though his hair before finally putting both hands up in surrender. He slowly turns around to where his back faces me. 

I glide through the water until it becomes shallow enough to where I can walk. The smooth stones massage my feet as I slowly get out of the water. The chilly winds bite at my bare skin as water slowly drips off of me and back into the lake. 

I grab the backpack, watching Zane to see if he makes any sudden movements to peak. He remains still as I shuffle through the bag. I pull out a small yellow sun dress and a jean jacket. 

I slip them on at lightning speed, praying they will help me thaw from the water. It isn't cold outside, but it definitely isn't summer anymore. Fall has begun to set in, making the weather a steady 65 degrees. The lack of sunlight here doesn't make it any better. 

I also find a pair of white canvas shoes inside the bag but no socks. My damp feet struggle to slide into the shoes but eventually conform. 

I stand back up, straightening my dress and finally clear my throat. 

"Okay." I say. 

Zane turns back around to face me, his eyes taking me in from head to toe. My body freezes under his gaze. He steps closer to me, making my breath hitch. 

His eyes gaze into mine. I stare back with the same intensity, trying to read his emotions. Those chocolate brown eyes hold so many emotions I cannot make any of them out.