Chapter eleven

~Heidi

I make my way into the large room. It looks like a palace in here: tall ceilings, big windows, a large throne chair at the end of the room. It has a mid evil vibe to it that tingles my senses. Even though I had been in Lance's house many times, I always remain just as intimidated. 

Even now that I am the head of The Guard, I am still dancing with nerves. Today, I come bearing bad news. It was my responsibility to alert him of what had happened in that forest. How Cody had sleighed the beast of the Terror pack. 

How he told me I owe him, while taking his dying breaths. 

No, I wouldn't tell him that. The man is dead anyways. 

What would be the hardest, is letting him know about all fifteen men that had died in battle trying to protect another pack. I walk up the long stretch to meet the alpha, who lounges on his tall plush chair on top of a small staircase. He wears a suit and tie, classy. His bright blonde locks are sleeked back. He watches my every step as I walk closer. 

Next to him is my Luna, Layla. She has short straight hair that barely reaches her chin. It is so blonde it looks white in the sunlight that bleeds through the mass of windows to my left. She stands up straight, watching me as well. Her eyes are softer than my alpha, though. They are a soft blue, almost periwinkle. She is a very kind woman, the epitome of compassion. But she has a fire inside her that only a Luna would possess. There are rumors that she and a few other Luna's prayed to devilish entities to ensure Zane's capture. 

It probably isn't true though. Luna's only usually pray to the Moon Goddess. 

I finally reach the velvet steps that lead up to where they stand above me. 

"Alpha" I bow my head, a sign of submission. He is clearly of greater power. 

He gives me a warm smile, pleased to see me. He was aware that I was coming to deliver information about what happened with Jax and the raid. Seeing me back and mostly unharmed, aside from the bruise ringing my neck, he looks hopeful for good news. 

Yikes. 

"Welcome, Heidi, what news do you bring me?" His eyes are trained on me. I glance over and see Layla giving me a soft smile and nod. "Were you and your men able to block Jax's advances on the Magic pack?" 

I gulp. Yes and no. My men died. Some of them were my friends. 

"We lost fifteen good men." I state out, trying my best to hide my emotions. I can't be seen crying in front of the Alpha. Especially since I am just under the position of Beta. If word got out that the new head of the guard sobbed over a few fallen soldiers, I would lose respect and become a laughing stock. Oh, the burdens of being a female. 

He shakes his head solemnly, taking in the information. 

"We were able to defeat the Terror pack's advances further," I say slowly, choosing my words carefully, "However, the alpha fell in battle." I almost cringe at the look that washes over his face. He furrows his eyebrows together. Is it shock or anger? 

"He fell?" He tilts his head, studying my face for any expression. 

"He is dead, sir." I peep out. My heart is beating rapidly. I feel so small in this giant room.

He presses his lips together tightly to form a straight line. I look over to Layla, she has a hand over her mouth in utter disbelief. At this moment I just want to fall to my knees and pray to the Moon Goddess to save me from the rage I could experience. 

The alpha of the Pioneer pack is a cruel man. And with Jax's death, Zane is next in line. Pretty soon his pack will attempt to seek him out. We may have stopped Jax, but we did not stop the war that could surely burst out, crippling the packs.