2. eyes

"I told you to wait in the car!"

"I know."

"You could have been hurt!"

"I know."

"If you would have stayed, you wouldn't have gotten all that villain goop in your hair."

"...I know."

You sighed. You knew this lecture was coming, but that didn't make it annoy you any less. Okay, maybe you felt a little bad for disobeying your mother, and you did get villain goop in your hair, but honestly? It was almost worth it to see All Might in person. Almost.

The whole affair usually wouldn't have bothered you. Heck, just getting to see All Might would have made it one of the greatest moments of your life. But you just couldn't get those fear-filled crimson eyes out of your head.

You felt like you should have done something. You wanted to be a hero, didn't you? This other kid who didn't even seem to have a quirk had done way more than you would have done. So what did that say about you? Then again, it wasn't even your place to do any of that yet. Even so, you couldn't get rid of the guilty knot in your stomach.

But there was something more. Those eyes...that shade of red...it was exactly like--

"(Y/N)? Are you alright, honey?" Your mom's voice pulled you from your thoughts.

"What? Oh, uh, yeah, yeah I'm fine," you told her.

She furrowed her brows. "Are you sure? We've been parked outside the house for at least three minutes."

You glanced out your window. Sure enough, there was home. "Oh," was all you managed to get out.

"Come on, let's get you inside."

You slowly stepped out of the car, following your mom into your house. You both kicked off your shoes and walked to the living room. Your mom sat on the couch with a sigh. She looked up at you, concern written all over her face.

"Are you sure you're fine? You seem pretty shaken up," she said

"Are you sure you're fine? You seem pretty shaken up," she said. You let out a sigh yourself, plopping down on the couch beside her. You stared down at your hands in your lap.

"Well...I don't know, it's kind of stupid," you mumbled, bringing up one of your hands to rub the back of your neck. Your mom gently touched your arm, causing you to finally turn your head toward her.

"You know you can tell me anything," she reassured you. A small smile appeared on your face. It wasn't really that reassuring, but you appreciated her efforts.

"Okay, well, it's just...that boy. He looked so...so scared," you told her. You shuddered at the memory and folded your arms across your chest. You turned your gaze back towards your lap. "It scared me. I froze up. And then I felt useless for not doing anything."

"Oh, honey, that's okay!" your mom said. She slid closer, pulling you into a side hug. "You're still young. You're learning! You don't have to be an amazing hero right away. And you know what? It's okay to be scared, even as a hero. Things are always uncertain. But you just have to put on a brave face and remember why you're doing this job in the first place."

You let her words sink in for a moment. Then you turned to her, a smirk playing along your lips. "How many times have you rehearsed that speech in the mirror?" you chuckled.

Your mom dramatically placed her hand on her chest with a scoff, feigning offense. "Now what in the world makes you think that? Can't I come up with amazing, inspiring speeches on the spot?"

You covered your mouth with your hand and tried to stifle your giggles, but soon the two of you burst out laughing. Slowly, the laughter subsided and you found yourself in a much better mood.

Maybe you could do this. Heck, there were still ten whole months until the UA exams. You could totally toughen up in that time, right?

And now you found yourself at the gates of the one and only UA High. It was strange how quickly those ten months went by. Almost as if they were unimportant and didn't happen. Huh.

UA was huge and intimidating. You'd trained hard and worked up your strength, but now that it was actually happening you were more than a little nervous. There were so many kids already there, which didn't help your anxiety whatsoever. Even so, you were already here, and you were determined to make your parents proud. Taking a deep breath, you walked headfirst into destiny.

You followed the crowd into a huge auditorium and found a seat amongst the hundreds there were. More and more students filed in. You grew more anxious as time passed. A lot of these kids looked so strong. No doubt stronger than you. How were you ever going to pass?

While looking around, you noticed a boy with red eyes sitting beside you. At first, you just glanced right past him. But then you did a double take. There was no way. Was it...?

He had spiky blonde hair and a disinterested look. You would've totally ignored him and seen him as just some other student, but you recognized that crimson color.

It was definitely him. The boy who had been attacked by that slime villain. His gaze was no longer filled with terror. Now it only seemed to hold disinterest and...anger? Even so, you could never forget those eyes.

·°·°·°·

916 words