6. koda

Everyone stared at Aizawa, completely shocked.

"The kid who ranks last...gets expelled...!?" Uraraka cried out. "This is our first day here!! But even if it weren't...that's just too unreasonable!!"

You completely agreed. You just got here...and now you could already be kicked out? It didn't make any sense!

"Natural disasters...massive accidents...ego-mad villains...all kinds of calamities can happen when we least expect them. Japan's now positively drenched in 'unreasonable.' And it's our job as heroes to reverse it all and restore reason," Aizawa explained. "If you were counting on a friendly chat at the local McDonald's after school, that's too bad. From now on, for the next three years, all you can expect from your life at UA is one hardship after the next. This is 'Plus Ultra.' I expect you to overcome these trials and climb to the top."

Well...that did make sense. It didn't seem fair or reasonable, but neither is life. You took a deep breath and mentally prepared yourself.

"Now then, that was the demonstration," Aizawa continued. He made a beckoning motion with his finger. "Time to step up to the plate."

And so the trials begun. You took note of each of your classmates' names and quirks as they took their turns and did your best when you were up. There were, of course, two people you found particularly interesting.

Firstly was Midoriya. You'd seen him display tremendous power during the entrance exam, but he seemed to be holding back this time. Bakugo, on the other hand, was completely the opposite. He gave his all in everything he did. It was intimidating and maybe even a little scary, but...admirable all the same.

And then came the pitching test.

Everything was going normal and fine until Midoriya's turn. His first try was stopped by Aizawa erasing his quirk, and that was how you discovered your new teacher was none other than the pro hero Eraserhead himself. After what seemed to be something of a pep talk, Midoriya tried again. And threw the ball 705.3 meters. 1 point higher than Bakugo.

And Bakugo did not like that.

"What is this, Deku!?" Bakugo yelled as he shoved past everyone and propelled himself forward. "Explain now, shitrag!!" Just as it seemed Midoriya was doomed to have his face blown off, Aizawa caught the walking bomb with his scarf. "Shit's this cloth?" Bakugo groaned "I can't...!!"

"It's my special 'capturing weapon,' a steel wire alloy woven with carbon nanofibers!" Aizawa said. "Geez, don't make me use my quirk so much... I've got dry eye, dammit!" With that, he released Bakugo and turned back to the rest of you. "We're wasting time. Prepare for the next trial."

You glanced at Bakugo. He definitely had issues. Inside you desperately hoped once again that he wasn't your soulmate. He couldn't be. There was no way the universe would pair you with someone so violent. Still...there was something about him that pulled you in. You had so many questions and so little answers. And what exactly was his deal with the green haired kid?

·°·°·°·°·

"Time to present the results."

This was it. You were totally going home.

"The total is simply the aggregate sum of each of your scores. If I recited all your scores it'd take a million years, so I'll disclose them all at once."

You braced yourself, certain you were about to be expelled.

"Oh yeah, that whole 'expulsion' thing was a lie."