Chapter Eight - Wards

The afternoon air was crisp. Rygel gazed forward along the coarse dirt trail, a blot between the thinning snow. He squinted amidst the now glowing hues of orange sunlight. Between the rays of sunlight, he saw his father seated on his horse, a few paces ahead of his own. Riding beyond the walls of Kyrag was a luxury for Rygel, one that didn't happen too often for him. Less-so than for Raika. Considering Rygel was the heir, he would have to become accustomed to the towns and their practices if he was to eventually rule them. Not that he wished for the pleasure of course. But today, it was different, his father hadn't brought him out for business, they were riding as father and son.

Rygel was cautious in securely grabbing his horse's reins, he'd been taught to ride when he was younger. But it was still something he rarely had the chance to partake in, so he was excusably rusty. Though, as he began to pick up pace, catching to his father's side. As he matched his own pace to his father's, he took note of his father's horse. It was a hulking beast, grey in colour with tinges of brown on the mane. In Rygel's eyes, it seemed large enough to take on some of the bears that roamed the Kyragian forests.

"So," Ryonis began, noticing that Rygel had already caught him up. "I'm... sorry that we haven't spent much time together as of late," Ryonis sighed. "All of the planning for the damned summit is stealing me and my time!"

"Don't worry yourself too much in that regard, father," Rygel said. Attempting to reassure him. "The summit is paramount right now, besides, it's only once every five years! We'll have more time afterwards!"

"Paramount, ay?" Ryonis said, releasing a light chuckle as he pulled the flask from his hip. "Lupin must be teaching you well for you to be using words like that!" After Ryonis took one gulp of the flask's contents - which knowing his father, would be ale - he placed it back in his pocket. "But it's true, after the summit is over, we will have a lot more time. Though, while we are in Constar, I will need to arrange for someone to continue your tutelage."

"It slipped my mind, to be honest..." Rygel said.

"What!" His father laughed. "That you would still be getting taught?"

"No," Rygel replied. "That I would be going."

"Nonsense!" His father said. "Of course you're coming! Why the summit is the best chance you have to meet people from other kingdoms. Make future friends and allies. It will also be the best place for me to eye you a suitor..." There was a pause. "Though, obviously the suitor I decide won't be forced upon you. I'm not a brute!" What if I don't want someone to be implied as worthy of marriage? Never mind love... Rygel thought behind a smile of approval.

"What of my combat training?" Rygel asked. He made sure to ask of it, considering it was what he was passionate about, and what he would likely miss the most. Well... second-most.

"House Molayne will likely have their training grounds open to the noble families sitting council. Besides, I'm sure she'd allow you to be trained, considering your the son of an old friend," his father stated, with what almost felt like a tinge of pride on voice. "Still, if not, it would likely need to be put on hold. Sadly."

"What of my Irregularity? Could I at least use it in my own quarters?"

"House Molayne isn't too fond on the public usage of Irregularities, other than that of anointed knights. So I'd argue against it. Best not to get on Myra's bad side. Have I learned that lesson... Speaking of your Irregularity though, have you improved with it?"

"I'd argue so!" Rygel said. Making the runic glyph appear before his hand. Much to his father's amusement. "I can sustain it for a bit longer now too. Even in my sparring matches, it's been effective! I'm winning a lot more."