trainee

(around 2016)
RYU POV
it's been a year since i was scouted and is officially a JYP trainee. it's hard being a student and a trainee at the same time. i wake up early to go to school and study until 4:30 pm then i head home to change and wash up before going to the agency to practice and improve my skills.

it's tiring yet fulfilling that you're at least closer to the dream of being an idol someday rather than just dreaming and doing no work. the agency became my 2nd home, although i am an introvert. it wasn't a problem surprisingly, because pd-nim really looks after his people and treats us as family.

other trainees so far are good to me, both the old and new ones. some of them even say that i'm popular in the agency due to the GOT7 event, my skills, and personality. i'm not boastful about it, but rather thankful for the goodness around me.

for the mean time, i met a friend. Lee Chaeryong, another trainee that's been here since 2014 so she's ahead of me in training period. we're also quite the same age, i'm just older by a few months.

Chaeryeong is younger than me since her birthday is June 5 while mine is April 17, but she has this mother-like side of her when looking out for me and i appreciate that as her best friend. we're like siblings to be honest. we both like sweet potatoes.

"ya Shin Ryujin, i'm talking to you!" Ryeong snickered making me startled.

"why are you zoning out all of a suddden?"

"ah, Ryeongie! what were you saying?" I asked.

"i was asking if you wanna go to Danbam now for lunch? we won't be much long, there's a new trainee and i want to know her."

" a new trainee? tsk, you'll just judge her skills or something Ryeong."

yeah she's cute and all but she can judge quickly, in a practical way though.

"i don't mean anything bad, you know that." she said while pouting.

aish my best friend is adorable to annoy.

"i know so let's go, i want some mocha." I said and we headed out.

we're here now at my safe haven, i suddenly feel relaxed due to the smell of good food and beverages here. i met a friend here too, we're like buddies. she seemed tough before but i got through her so we're like badass buddies.

"annyeong Yi-Seo!" i greeted cheerfully while at the door and currently heading to the counter to order Ryeong and I's lunch. mine consists of iced mocha latte, an ala carte lasagna, and a go-bag of fresh mocha bread as a snack later at practice break. Ryeong's consists of iced tea, garlic shrimp pasta, and a side of sweet potato chips.

"annyeong Ryujin! you seem excited, what's up? she curiously asked while preparing my order.
"i don't know too. but, i know i miss my mocha!" I said as i paid for my order and get my receipt from her, ending our talk.

i sat in front of the table Ryeong picked for us while i was ordering awhile ago. it's the normal routine for us, i order, pay and she picks the table or vice versa. we get along just fine so there isn't a problem with food.

"hey Ryeong, check the company's trainee list. i wanna see how the new girl looks." I said while browsing my phone.
"i already did Ryu, she looks kind and has a duality." she said as our orders were served in front of us, making us both relieved by the delicious smell.

"can i see? i don't know why i'm so curious so just let me." i exclaimed as i wait for her to hand her phone and get it over with.

"why would i? you have a phone?"

"oh yeah, i forgot." i mentally face palmed myself.

"aish, you're smart forgetful at times."

"btw, the name's Hwang Yeji."

as soon as she said that, i shivered a bit. like a cool breeze just passed me, it wasn't even winter and the cafe is warm. i don't know why, but somehow i felt electricity and relief.

i started to eat my lunch too before it got cold, savoring the taste of my food and i was ecstatic. Danbam never failed my taste buds!

as i'm eating, i started to look for Yeji in the company's website. it was a website just for trainees, to figure out their schedules, activities, dorms, grades at monthly evaluations, etc. i scrolled through the list as i forked up a mouthful of pasta into my mouth and there i saw a stunningly beautiful person. unintentional, i felt my heart race and being drawn to Yeji. i haven't seen her personally yet i got choked up with pasta by her natural beauty.

"OMO! RYUJIN, ARE YOU OKAY?" Ryeong worriedly asked as she handed me her iced tea to drink, which i did, while she pat my back softly.

"i'm fine Ryeong, thank you." I said as i calm myself and finished eating.

"what happened? is it because you eat mouthful or what?"

"i did eat mouthful but i never choke because of that. it's Yeji's fault."

"what? Yeji, the new girl? how's that possible?" Ryeong asked and had a look on her face that says "say what again?"

"yes, because she's beautiful." I said, unintentionally, i don't plan to say that to Ryeong because for sure she'll tease me about it, but i slipped.

"oh really now, that's a first. Shin Ryujin, the night fury, got choked with pasta because of a beautiful person."

"yes, Lee Chaeryeong. I DID, stop teasing me. when and why am i called the night fury?" I asked as i check the time- 12:45 pm

"ever since you came to JYP. night fury because you resemble it. you know the cartoon dragon named toothless from how to train your dragon?" she explained making me nod in agreement.

"all you have to do is to get your light fury, completing the resemblance."

"wait, what?!" I freaked out. in case you didn't know, a night fury has a partner which is light fury. it's from an adorable movie, so i'm adorable HAHAHAHA.

"nothing. let's head back, i wanna meet light fury- i mean Yeji." Ryeong said weirdly with a smirk and walked, leaving me behind dumbfounded.

as we got back inside the practice room, i felt kinda sick. i can't practice like this if my stomach is messing with me. Chaeryeong is fixing her things and herself in the mean time before us trainees get called for Yeji's introduction or welcoming orientation. i want to go but my body's not fine, aish. guess i won't meet Yeji today.

"hey Ryeong, i'll be at my dorm if you need me. i'm not feeling good, don't pounce on Yeji weirdly." I warned and took my stuff.

"huh? ok, i'll be there afterwards. and yes, i'm not gonna do anything to YOUR Yeji." she teasingly said which annoyed me and made me do an eye roll as i leave.

i'm lying on my bed now after taking some medicine for tummy ache because of Ryeong. i just remembered drinking iced tea after choking while having mocha latte, then chemical reaction. GREAT. i'll just sleep and catch up to the activities later at night. just like that, i went to dreamland.