Chapter 5 Nothing Changed

Liam Price

"Oh, my!" Charlotte Houghton exclaimed in a surprised delight and rose to her feet and rushed to meet them. She looked at her husband with a twinkle in her ocean blue eyes, "You brought them! But we said not to."

"You said that, I didn't." Noah Houghton smiled as he kissed her adoringly when she drew close. "This is your first birthday surprise. A family should celebrate together." His words were tender talking to her, but his eyes shot his son a warning glare. He then stepped aside giving them room and took his place at the head of the table as the maid placed a silver tray with a matching pot of freshly brewed coffee and a plate of ginger biscuits.

Andrew twisted his lips looking down at his feet as he shuffled his irritation from one foot to the other. He hated that he had to miss the tone month school trip on a cruise for a stupid birthday. It didn't matter if he went on many cruises before, neither that he could still catch up the rest of the trip. Not even that he could book a cruise ship and invite whoever he wanted or simply use the yacht. All that didn't matter to Andrew. He simply didn't want to be held back for just a lame birthday party.

Charlotte turned to her boys with a wide welcoming smile, "I'm so happy you could make it. Now, where are my hugs?"

Dragging his feet, Andrew couldn't appear more displeased, but kept his vex attitude visual to only his mother. He made sure to show her his silent accusation that she was the reason to ruin his trip, before hugging her.

Charlotte covered her downheartedness with a cheerful laugh as Andrew quickly slipped out of her arms. "We barely get to see you boys with boarding school and all your activities and programs. Sarah is going to be thrilled that you're home."

A Flash of sadness crossed Charlotte's face and was rewarded with an eye-roll from Andrew. She faked a smile and a laugh as she rushed him off before his father catch up on. "Why don't you go change out of your uniform and rest a while before dinner, I'll send Anna with some snacks?"

But Noah was watching. And even though he was irked with his son's ill behavior, said nothing for Charlotte's sake. It breaks her heart when one of her children was unhappy. He held his peace for another time and resolved to a scowl that had Andrew scurry to his room. It was her special day after all.

Charlotte had a full smile when she turned to Liam. "Wouldn't I get a hug on my birthday?" Her arms stretched out to him and he complied. She received one of those rare hugs that Liam gave on very- very few occasions. She knew hugs weren't his thing but she was chuffed every time she got one.

"My god! You've gotten much taller than the last time I saw you. Look at you -you're almost as tall as I am!" She leaned back looking at his handsome face. Charlotte had no doubt from the moment she saw him that he'd break a few hearts growing up.

Liam gave her a peck on the cheek, "Happy birthday, Charlotte." He reached into the pocket of his uniform and pulled out a small box. Liam preferred to give her her present prior to the party started and before the guests.

"Oh, you shouldn't have." She glanced at her husband to check if he had any hand in this, but she saw that Noah was as clueless and curious as she was. Charlotte was touched and her heart swelled with joy that collected in her eyes, she fanned her face with her hand trying to stop the tears laughing over how emotional she got. She opened the box to see the gift Liam has chosen and it overwhelmed her completely that even her continuous fanning failed to dry her eyes.

Inside the box laid a golden brooch of elegant swirls that formed a flower, the petals flared then softly gathered at the tips to hug a flawless sphere of pink blush rose-quartz. It was her favorite gem stone.