Chapter 7 Charlotte Houghton

The Houghtons

The preparations for the Houghtons' annual party were going as planned and right on schedule. Charlotte checked her list again; the binders and notebooks she worked on were finely organized on the side table next to her and a couple were open showing off her ruthless skill of running aforesaid event. That gentle exterior of hers held a mind-blowing adroitness.

Preparing for a huge thing wasn't an effortless task; however, Charlotte Houghton relished on the responsibilities that came with the duties, and that included keeping track of every detail, starting from the type of paper the invitations will be printed on down to the folded napkins' rings. Charlotte strove toward quality and perfection and she would never accept nor settle for anything less than that. There was a certain image the Houghtons must preserve in front of others and she took that part seriously.

Of course, Noah Houghton could easily hire any top high-end party organizers he wanted to take on the whole thing, but seeing how Charlotte's face would light up made him hand in the project without hesitation. It was her contribution toward the people who worked for her husband. Not to mention that Charlotte had a unique talent for such thing. The outcomes of her work were always admired by the invitees, yet most importantly her hard work was appraised and cherished by her husband. The sort of thing she did was equal to the best event planning company –if not better.

She knew that even though it was a party, there will be definite business-talk. After all, most of guests were businessmen and women. For that, everything must be top-notch and without a fault. No matter how tiring or time consuming- Charlotte was elated. And even with the three assistants that Noah insisted on recruiting, there was still a lot to be done.

Charlotte was in the drawing room choosing the fabrics for the suits she'd have tailored. Across from where she sat, couturiers were taking her boys measurements in the parlor. She needed to make sure that everyone maintained the Houghton's family image and everyone was looking sharp. In front of her, sets of neckties, handkerchiefs and dress shirts were placed for her to choose from.

She held up a piece of Guanashina fabric to see how the color would complement the boys when she felt a hand on her shoulder followed by a peck on her cheek. Charlotte smiled knowing who it was.

"Another busy day, dear?" Noah took place beside her on the sofa.

"Yes, and you're late." She lightly reproved.

"For that I apologize," and kissed her other cheek. He chuckled when she turned her face the other side and he kissed her again.

"Now you're forgiven," she laughed pleased with herself.

Noah twisted his neck left and right then asked, "Say, where are your assistants?"

Carrying on with the duty in hand she lifted another piece of fabric and closed a tight fist on the edge of the cloth to see how it wrinkles. The last thing she wanted was wrinkly suits. "I gave them the day off," she answered simply, "they've been working for five weeks straight, they deserved the day off."

Noah smiled. She was always thoughtful. He saw her set the cloth aside and lose herself watching the boys lovingly. It amazed him how the way she looked at them never changed through the years. Yet, there was a hint of something else, something turbid her thoughts. "What's troubling you, dear?"

Charlotte was silent for a moment. Then she sighed heavily, "I feel like I failed him."

His eyes drifted to Liam and Andrew and he knew which of boys Charlotte was talking about. That quiet, self-depended and collected demeanor would catch anyone's eye. Noah saw in many occasions how Liam's presence alone compelled the respect of those around him even at young age.