Surprise, surprise

Taylor's POV

          The door that Libby had gone through for her auditions swung open with a dramatic rush of air. Melanie and I jumped up as Libby rushed out. She threw herself into my arms with a sob.

           “Libby!” I squeaked in surprise. “What happened!?”

           “Th- they said I was too young!” Libby wailed, and her voice cracked. “I’m four days too young! It’s so stupid!”

           “They did what!?” Melanie said loudly, jerking her head up to glare at the auditions door like she wanted to set it on fire.

           “I’m going to punch them!” I hissed. Dream boys indeed. More like rich boy brats. How could they not see how good Libby was? Ooh, they were going to get it!

           “One Direction was fine.” Libby said, touching my arm to calm me down. “They were actually really sweet and funny.” She smiled, clearly remembering something that one of the boys, probably Louis, had said.

           “Okay, spill,” I said. “What did Louis say?”

           “Well…” Libby hesitated, and I recognized her thinking face.

           “What did he say?” Melanie squealed, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet. As much as she denied it, she loved One Direction as much as I did. She caught me looking and stuck her tongue out. I just grinned.

           “I got introduced to Kevin,” Libby said, nudging me in the ribs. I burst out laughing, and Melanie joined me.

           “Oh Lou,” I chuckled. “Only you.”

           “You rhymed!” Melanie giggled, which just made me and Libby laugh harder.I looked at Libby in surprise, wondering how she could be laughing after her auditions. She looked at me, and I saw the hurt and sadness in her eyes. Sure, she was laughing now, but I had the feeling that she would dissolve into tears the minute she got home.

“Do you want to spend the night with us?” I asked abruptly. I knew Libby loved it at my place, just because my house was about five times bigger than hers. I felt bad being so rich when my friend was so poor.

              “Duh!” Libby smiled, and I saw genuine happiness take the place of some of the sadness. It made me happy too.

             “No!” Libby yelped. “Never again! That was horrible!”

            “You watched the first half hour!” I pointed out around my laughter. Libby stuck her tongue out at me, but didn’t argue.

            “And that’s Taylor up to forty and Libby still at fifty six,” Melanie announced smugly. This time it was my turn to stick my tongue out, and Libby started laughing a genuine laugh.

            “Let’s go!” Libby said excitedly, racing to Mel’s car and claiming the shotgun seat.

            “No fair!” I cried, running after her.

            The twenty four inch flat screen tv in my room was the only source of light in my room. Libby was already curled up on her beanbag, and the eleven o’clock news hadn’t even started yet. Earlier, they had mentioned a feature on the talent search, and we were planning on staying up until it was on. Libby, however, had fallen asleep.

            The jingle for the news played, and I shook Libby awake. She scrambled upright as the news anchor started talking. I rolled my eyes at her, then turned my attention to the screen.