Chapter 2 : what a strange being you are

Oh my fucking god.

This isn't real

"September? Are you with us?"

Snapping out of my daze, I smile weakly over at Miss Valentine, who was still wearing a concerned expression.

Miss Valentine has always been my favorite staff member, as I stated before. She introduced me to a lot of bands and I've been to at least one concert with her (it was for Black Veil Brides but I don't really listen to their music much anymore after Gene, ya know...). She also treated me a lot like her little sister even if she was 10 years older than me. She also just happens to be part of my legal team/social worker.

"sorry, just in shock I guess"

Miss Valentine gave me a questioning look before someone came running to the office, nearly smacking into the door before I swung it open and stepped out of the way of the one and only, Jack Barakat. Don't mind me internally loosing my mind.

"took you long enough" Alex joked as Jack sat on his lap.

"okay, so, you gentlemen are looking to foster two children if possible, correct?"

Rian and Alex both nodded while Jack and Zack looked at the other two accusingly.

"September, could you pull up the files for all the kids available, in the 12-17 age range?"

I nodded and sat down at the other computer chair, starting up the computer and entering all of information I needed to, scrolling past my brief paragraph, I stopped at the bottom. I figure they probably either discussed wanting that age range or since Miss Valentine knew their vibes, she guessed that age range would be better for the bands schedules and the kids general being. For example, a 12-15 year old would still need some parenting but could be a lot more independent than say a 5 year old. A 16 or 17 year old would be someone close to aging out and while there wouldn't be much time with them, especially the 17 year old, at least they'd get some form of stability.

"alright there is currently 10 kids available for fostering. How this works, we'll send in each child for you to interview, at the end we'll be discussing which children are best fit for everyone. September, I'll have you notify the kids while I show them to the interview room?" Miss Valentine's voice startled me and I can tell she was holding back a laugh. To be fair I did nearly fall out of the chair I was sitting in.

I nodded and got up again, sending the document to my phone so I could get the right names.

I spent the next 20 minutes tracking everyone down and after debating on knocking on Brandon's door, I finally decided to suck it up and knocked against the cracking wood.

Awkwardly rocking on my feet, I could hear laughter and music on the other side of the door before the music was paused and there was a creaking of old metal followed by footsteps and finally, the door swung open to a shirtless Brandon.

"like the view, Princess?" Brandon smirked as he learned on his door frame. He let his greasy hair fall in his face as he tried to bite his lip but I couldn't pay attention to that when the overwhelming scent of smoke and weed filled my nostrils.

I tried to push down the memories surfaced by the smell of smoke before I scoffed and rolled my eyes, crossing my arms.

"you're in the interview room, 10 minutes. And get a shirt on, you're not attracting anyone except maybe mosquitoes"

I walked away then, retreating to my room to grab my headphones and a bear that Amb sent last year.

I knew Miss Valentine would be on me all week if I didn't go to the interview, so I sucked it up yet again and sat in the waiting area where 9 others sat.