four

Maple smiled brightly as she made the pastries for the day

Maple smiled brightly as she made the pastries for the day. Usually, on some days, she would bake them, then let Clark deal with the customers while she would go back home and rest for a while, coming back for the last few hours of the night to close shop and relinquish Clark of his duties. However, because of the recent vandalism on their shop's windows, Maple decided to stay the whole day. Even with Clark being a man and the typical stereotypes of "men can handle their own," she would make sure he was sent off home safely.

Maple held a phone between her shoulder and ear while whisking a batter for the eclairs. "Sorry, Eddie, I'll be home late, so I can't ensure that there will be anything chocolate-based for V tonight."

There was rustling on the other end. "What?" came Venom's voice. "Why not?" The symbiote began to grumble.

Maple chuckled. "I got the whole day at the bakery. Feel free to stop by, but I can't assure you there will be chocolate pastries left by the end of the night."

"We are coming right now."

Maple laughed. "I haven't even opened the shop yet. Nothing's made."

"We will come in a few hours."

Maple smiled. '"All right, big boy. Looking forward to it. Good luck with work, Eddie."

"Thanks," said Eddie. "See you later."

"See you."

Maple and Eddie - perhaps Venom included - were not dating. Maple simply liked baking goods for Venom - and maybe she always liked it when he hugged, but she wouldn't admit that so openly. She wasn't going to lie to herself. She quite liked Venom - even more so than Eddie, but she wouldn't mention it to anyone. It was a secret she would try - her very best at that - to take to the grave.

She finished mixing the batter, then piped them onto a tray, sliding them into the preheated oven. She moved onto the filling, grabbing the necessary ingredients for it. Clark was the backroom, grabbing ingredients for the cream horns. He walked out of the room with an arm full of ingredients.

"Was that Venom?"

Maple hummed yes. Clark rolled his eyes, setting up his station right behind Maple. The two worked back-to-back.

"Fuck him already," Clark advised.

Maple giggled. "You think I don't want to?"

He curled his nose up in disgust. "Did not think you'd admit it so quickly."

Maple shrugged, setting the filling aside to work on the icing. "Imagine how big he is."

"No," Clark interrupted. "I will think of my lovely boyfriend."

Maple shrugged. "If you say so.'"