five

As promised, Venom came to visit a few hours later around noon

As promised, Venom came to visit a few hours later around noon. There was a thud on the roof of Maple's bakery, rattling the pictures on the walls. The regulars simply shrugged and went about their business.

Maple smiled as she handed an elderly woman a biscuit and hot chocolate, leading the woman to a table in the corner.

She heard the back door in the kitchen opening, so she walked over to Clark and patted his shoulder. "Got the register?"

He nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

She walked into the kitchen and immediately saw the large symbiote. His tongue slithered out and licked her face.

"Hey, big guy," she greeted. "Chocolate?"

"Yes."

Maple grabbed a small whiteboard and a marker, writing 'Courtesy of Venom, all chocolate pastries currently unavailable.' She headed to the front of the display box and hung it up near a case of flowers on top of the display, then walked behind and took out all the chocolate pastries, putting them onto a tray.

"Big boy's back?" asked Peter, a regular at her shop.

He always seemed tense whenever Venom showed up, but Maple assumed it was because he was a journalist and photographer.

"Always, Peter, here for another croissant and coffee?" she asked, heading to the back.

"Always," he replied with a soft smile.

"You heard the man, Clark," Maple called out. "One croissant for Peter Parker."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied.

Maple held out the tray to Venom as if he was a God. "Oh glorious Venom, please don't eat me. Take my sacrifices instead."

His tongue coiled around the pastries and dumped them into his mouth. He smiled at her, fangs and all. Maple placed the tray into the sink before grabbing more ingredients from the back to make more chocolate pastries for the day.

"What are you boys up to today?" she questioned, getting to work with a batter.

Half of Venom's face disappeared to reveal the other half of Eddie's face. "We're chasing a lead today for a clinic that's been ripping off their patients who are mainly lower-class and can barely afford insurance." Their voices were mixed together.

"Sounds fun. Try not to die. I actually like your company," advised Maple.

"Course not," replied Eddie before his face disappeared underneath the symbiotic tendrils.

"We would die without your chocolate," added Venom.

She shook her head. "You're a flirt. I'll be home late tonight, so see you tomorrow?"

"We will pick you up tonight."

"What? But - "

"When do you get off?"

"Nine," she responded. "But you don't - "

Venom turned around and left without another word. Maple sighed, putting her hands on her hips.