Part 14

We were in our room when Ms. Rodriguez called us for dinner. I sat down and Ms. Rodriguez looked at me and mouthed, "You tell him you know?" I shook my head, "Not yet," I mouthed back. She nodded and I was about to start eating when I saw Benny looking at me. "What are you girls talking about?" Mr. Rodriguez asked. "Nothing," I said and smiled.

We ate dinner and then I was about to help clean the dishes when Mr. Rodriguez went up to me and said, "You don't have to do that y/n." he said. "It's fine. I want to do it." I said. "Thank you," he said and walked to the living room. I heard The Andy Griffith show come on. I smiled and was about to start when Benny came up behind me with his plate, "Need help?" he asked me. "Only if you want to help," I said. He nodded. "What's up with you and my mom?" he asked. I smirked at him, "Nada Benny," I said and started to clean the dishes. He just looked at me for a minute then splashed water at me. I splashed water back at him. We were both laughing and splashing and laughing when I said, "Okay...okay...We have to do this." I said. "I do, you don't," he said. He snatched the sponge out of my hand. "Well, I live here now so I do too," I said and tried to grab the sponge. We were both playing tug-a-war with the sponge when he let go. My hands pulled towards me and got my whole shirt wet. Of course, the shirt was white. He started laughing at me and I rolled my eyes. I finished cleaning in silence and then walked away. He winked at me then went to put the towel in the dryer because it was all wet.

I was walking to the room when Ms. Rodriguez pulled me in. "I saw what happened," she said smiling. "Sorry for making a mess. We cleaned it up." I said. "It is fine, y/n. But there is something that's not fine," she said. "What is it?" I asked politely. "Why don't you believe Benny likes you?" she said. "Um...who said that?" I said. "I can tell that you don't believe it." she said, "Well that's true. We are just friends." I say. She shakes her head, "Just look at what he does with you," she said then walked out. I ran towards her, "Ms. Rodriguez," I said. "Yes querida?" she asked me. "Where are we gonna go to get my bed tomorrow?" I asked. "We will figure it out querida. Just be sure to not wake up so late tomorrow." I nodded and said, "Thank you." I walked into the bathroom and was getting undressed when I heard a knock on the door. "Y/n, I wanna know what's up with you," he said. "Im kind of busy at the moment," I said annoyed. Did he really need to know that bad? "I will tell you when I'm done," I said. He whined for a minute then walked away.

I got into the shower and started thinking about what Ms. Rodriguez said. 'Just look at what he does with you?' What was that supposed to mean? I mean, yeah, whenever we sleep next to one another I always end up cuddling with him. But that's just because we are so close, right? I finished my shower then got out and walked into the room. He was reading some sort of comic. "I'm getting dressed in the closet," I said. I grabbed a pair of pajamas then went inside the closet and closed the door. "Can I know what's up?" he asked. "Not now," I said. "Why not?" he asked. "Because I have a lot on my mind. Including what you want me to tell you." I said. "Then why not just tell me?" he asked. "I will when I finally get things sorted out. I promise." I said. He was standing in front of it. "Fine," he said and walked back into his bed. I went into the bathroom and hung the towel up. I then brushed my hair.

I walked back into the room and sat on the floor. "Why can't you just tell me?" he asked. He sat next to me and hugged me. I hugged him back. Point 1 for his mom. "I told you, I am still thinking about it. I will tell you what it is when I figure it out. "Fine, I will stop bothering you about it...for now," he said. But the hug could've just been a friendly hug. "Okay, let go. I wanna write." I said. "About what?" he asked. "My thoughts," I said. Which wasn't entirely a lie. "Don't look inside this," I said firmly. "Whatever," he said and sat on the bed. I sat against the wall and started to make a chart. One side was for me and one was for Ms. Rodriguez. I gave a point to the both of us.

"Wanna read with me?" he asked. "I guess so," I said. I sat next to him and we took turns reading pages. We finished the comic book so I turned the light off. I laid next to him and asked, "Wanna talk?" I asked him. "Okay," he said. "Scotty seems to be mad at me. Should I just leave him and let him go through his own grieving process?" I asked. "Why is he mad at you?" he asked. "I am not sure," I said. "I guess just leave it for a little but if it keeps going try and talk to him," he suggested. "That's a good idea. Thanks." I said. We then just stopped talking and both fell asleep.

Today was the third day I woke up wrapped in Benny's arm. Another Point for Ms. Rodriguez. I opened the book and gave her one. I put the book away in one of my drawers. I went up to Benny and tapped him on the shoulder. "Get up. It is 8:00." I said. He groaned then sat up. I laughed at him. "What?" he asked. "Your hair is a mess," I said. "So is yours," he said. "I know," I said and smiled. Benny sat up and I walked into the kitchen. "Up at a decent hour for once." Ms. Rodriguez said. "Yeah," I said. Benny grabbed a box of cereal and poured a bowl for him and I. "Thanks." I said. "Yep," he said and sat down. I sat next to him and ate. Benny's mom cleaned the dishes for once so there wouldn't be a huge mess. Benny got dressed in the closet this time. It was our new rule. He would get dressed in the closet in the morning and I would at night.

I was putting my shirt on when he walked out of the closet. He started laughing. I quickly put the shirt on. "Sorry," he said. I pushed him playfully and as he was walking out of the room, he whispered, "Not." I looked at him, "I heard that." I said. "Good!" he yelled back at me. Should I consider that a point for Ms. Rodriguez? I guess so. I got my book out and added one. She had 3 points so far, I only had one. I put my hair up and shoes on. I walked out of the room and Benny's parents were sitting on the couch. "Let's go buy that bed." Mr. Rodriguez said. I nodded, "Thank you." I said. They looked at me and said, "Of course."