Part 16

We played until 4 o'clock then everyone headed home. We were walking back when Benny asked me, "Wanna take the long way back?" I shrugged my shoulders, "Okay," I said. He grabbed my hand and we headed the opposite direction. "How much longer is this way?" I asked. "Never mind that, what's up with you?" he asked. "I keep telling you I'm thinking," I said. "Well you kept looking at me and making weird faces," he said and laughed. I laughed, "Sorry." I said. "Yeah, it's fine. I don't know what there is to think about. With me I mean." he said. "Yes, there is," I said. Your mom said you like me and I like you back but I don't know what you'll do, I thought to myself. "Come on," Benny said and started running. We got to this giant hill and started running up. We got to the top, it was so beautiful. It reminded me of sitting on the terrace at the apartment in the city. We sat down and he put his hand down, I put my hand on his and interlocked our fingers. He tightened his grip. We both lie down, keeping our hands together. "The sky is so pretty," I said. "It is," he said looking at me.

"About earlier, did you tell anyone?" I asked. "Um...about that," he said. I quickly sat up, he stayed laying down. "I kind of Yeah-yeah," he said. "But he was the only one!" he said. "Why?" I asked annoyed, "Well he asked and he is my friend so..." he said. "Yeah-yeah is going to tell everyone!" I said. "No, he won't," Benny said. "Why is this such a big deal anyway? We aren't even dating!" he said. "Exactly, that's why it's a big deal to me," I said. I went to bed angry with Benny that night. Yeah-yeah is too much of a blabbermouth, he is going to tell everyone.

Of course, I was right. I walked to the sandlot alone that day. When I got there everyone started looking at one another and laughed. Benny walked over, "You were right," he said. "I know," I said. "Hey Benny, look!" Squints yelled and put his hands on his chest and everyone started laughing. I gave them a dirty look and everyone just laughed harder. Benny walked over to them and said something that got them to shut up. They just smirked at me and that was it. Benny walked over to me, "I took care of it." he said. "What did you say?" I asked him. "Eh...nothing," he said. Huh, weird.

The whole time we were playing Benny was being weird. Whatever. At least there hasn't been anything new to add to the chart today. I was laying in bed reading "The Unchosen" when Benny walked in. He sat on his bed, "Y/n," he said. I looked up from my book, "Benny," I said. "I'm sorry. But at least I got them to shut up," he said. "What did you tell them?" I asked. "Nada y/n," he said then got out a comic and started reading. "I'm going to go get dessert," I said as I put my book on my bed. He just nodded and I walked out of the room.

Ms. Rodriguez was in the kitchen put dishes away. "Let me help you," I said as I started to stack some plates up. "Thank you," Ms. Rodriguez said. "Yeah," I said. "Anything new happen?" she asked me. "You have 3 points. I think I have 1, but I didn't know what to consider it as, so I gave us both a point." I said. "Hmmm," was all she said. We finished and I grabbed a clementine and peeled it. I was sitting down with Ms. Rodriguez and we were talking when Benny walked in, "I was wondering where you went." he said. "I got distracted," I said. He just nodded, smiled, and went into the living room with his dad. Ms. Rodriguez looked at me and smiled. "What?" I asked and smiled. "You're blushing...do you like him?" she asked me. "Maybe..." I said. "Why not go tell him," she asked. "I'm too nervous," I said. "Just give him hints then," she suggested. 'I guess, but boys are oblivious." I said. His mom looked at me, "Not Benny querida." she said and smiled. I hugged her and went to the room.

Benny was in there, I guess I didn't notice him walk past me. "Why were you and my mom hugging?" he asked. I just smiled and got into bed. "Y/n," he said. "Yes?" I replied. "You and my mom seem close," he said. "I guess we are," I said. "That's good," he said and smiled. I nodded, closed my eyes, and fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up to someone shaking me. It was Benny, "What?" I asked. "We are going out, my mom want's us to get groceries," he said. "What time is it?" I asked. "6 o'clock." he said. He pulled the blanket off my and pulled me up. I got out of bed slowly and got dressed while Benny got dressed in the closet. We headed out and walked to the store. We were fooling around while shopping and a lot of people gave us dirty looks. That always sent us into deep laughter.

We got home with the groceries at 8:00. "You guys have been out since 6:00." his dad said. "Yeah, but we have the groceries," Benny said. "Sal de aqui." (Get out of here) his dad said in Spanish. Benny took my arm and ran out of the house with our baseball stuff. We ran the whole way and smiled, "Is it horrible that I'm happy you're staying with me?" he asked me. "No, it's not," I said and hugged him. We walked into everyone's view and everyone started ohhhh-ing. "Tough guys blushing!" Squints yelled. I looked over at everyone, of course, his face was red.

"Shut up!" Benny yelled. I smiled. We started playing when Benny bat. I wasn't paying attention and of course, he hit me in the eye with the ball by accident. "Holy shit!" he said as he ran towards me. I was holding my eye and it started to tear, He hugged me and brought me home, "What happened?" his mom said. "Ball" was all Benny said. I grabbed an ice pack and put it on my eye. "Remember when this happened to Scotty?" I said. "Yeah," he said. "I'm sorry!" he said. "I told you it was fine." I said and hugged him.

That night we just hung out in our room and talked.

Authors Note:
The end was cringe but I wanted to add something else and well...