33| Ducks Fly Together!

THE LOCKER ROOM WAS filled with laughter and talking as Coach Gordon Bombay walked into the room. November, who was allowing her tiredness to get to her, sat beside Julie as she exhaustedly tried to fix her braid.

"Y'all enjoy that?!" Bombay asked out to the group as they all cheered. "Okay well so did they. Because they're still three points up and we're one period away from defeat."

Everyone shuffled to sit down. Adam sat beside Nova as she accidentally dropped her hair tie and frustratedly groaned to herself.

Adam chuckled and bent over to hand it to her which she thankfully took.

"Well if we can't win, we might as well keep our pride" Jesse shrugged as he was the only one in the room standing up

Everyone just nodded and agreed with him, except Nova, who was utterly just focusing on her braid.
Bombay shook his head in disappointment.

"Jesse that's not pride," he sighed, "sure when Dwayne roped that big oaf, part of me cheered. But guys I've been there, I know how you feel..."

Bombay began walking down deeper into the locker room and November followed him with her eyes as she finished fixing up her hair. She exchanged glances with Julie beside her and the girl just frowned and shrugged.

"I wanted to cream that jerk who busted my knee when I played in the minors," Bombay continued, "and I really, really wanted to go after Stansson for that cheep shot. But you know what, my knee will heel... and if I become someone I'm not- if I sink to their level.... well then I've lost more than my knee... you understand?"

Everyone muttered 'yea'. November swallowed the lump in her throat and shuffled uncomfortably as she had registered everything. Everyone. She glanced over to Adam and he caught her gaze, sending her a small smile.

November thought for a moment. This could be her last game. This could be her last period. This could be the last time she'd hear Bombay give an inspirational speech. Every minute, her decision got harder and harder. She wanted to go, she really did- but at the same time, she didn't. She couldn't... because as she looked around at her team- her family... she just thought, I'm not ready to let this go yet...

So she figured the best decision is to talk to Adam about it. She really really needed to tell him. If anyone, he'd help her make her decision- it's Adam Banks after all...

"We're not goons... were not bullies... whatever people say or do... we have to be ourselves," Bombay spoke up. After a couple moments, Bombay raised his hand and pointed to Dean. "You. Who are you?"

Everyone exchanged confused glances before dean spoke. "Dean Portman..."

"From where?"

"Chicago, Illinois"

Bombay then moved his hand over to point where Connie and Guy were. "You"

"Guy Germaine."

"From where?"

"Uh... St Paul, Minnesota"

Bombay then nodded to the back of the room and pointed there. "You"

"Jesse Hall from Minneapolis, Minnesota"

Bombay then pointed to the spot beside Nova. "Who are you?"

"Julie Gaffney from Bangor, Maine" Julie said in a proud manner

Bombay didn't have to say anything more except lastly point at Luis, who stood up as he talked.

"Luis Mendoza. Miami, Florida"