Chapter 5

Tora is conspiring with the devil, and nobody can change my mind. This is the fourth time this week we've had to catch her. I clutched my walkie talkie in frustration. Kakashi only had four of the ones that go on your head, he knew I wouldn't speak much so he gave me the hand held. I listened in to the staticky conversation. "Sasuke at point A, in position." I raised the radio to my mouth. "Ayano, B." A few seconds, "Sakura here, point D." A few more seconds. "Naruto at point C 'tte bayo." I heard Kakashi sigh. "Little slow there Naruto. Is target in position?" "Affirmative" The duck and the pink one managed to talk at the same time. Sakura let out an audible squeal. I looked down at Tora from my tree. I sighed and pulled out a container of leftover sashimi. Not caring anymore, I opened the lid and walked calmly up to the cat. Tora trotted up to the fish, I could here my teammates complaints through the radio. Once the cat was done eating, I scooped it up and pocketed the container. I spoke into the radio. "Target captured."

Naruto bounded up to me. "Man this is such a stupid mission." I nodded slightly. He wasn't wrong, but someone has to do it. Kakashi walked out from behind a fence, Sasuke jumped down from a building ledge, Sakura crawled out from behind a dumpster. Kakashi gazed down at the cat. "It's got the ribbon on the ear, nice job Ayano. Quick thinking." I nodded.

::

I watched the Fire Daiymo's wife suffocate Tora, a tragic sight. Naruto stared on with barely concealed glee. "Serves that hellcat right." Sakura gulped. "No wonder it ran away." Sasuke grunted in agreement. The Hokage had already dished out our respected pay. He shuffled through his papers. "Let's see, for your next mission we have babysitting, helping with groceries, garde-" My eyes widened as Naruto slammed his hands down on the desk. "NO! Gramps! I am sick of doing useless missions when we could be training to be better ninja! We deserve a better mission!"

Iruka quickly stood. "Naruto! Sit down and don't disrespect your Hokage! You're fresh out of the academy! Who do you think you are?!" Naruto crossed his arms, speaking in a very 'matter of fact' tone. "The future Hokage." Iruka looked like he wanted to continue the argument before the Hokage held his hand up. "Iruka, can't you see? Naruto wants to show us he isn't some little kid anymore. Though, I console you to value these missions! D-ranks help keep the village on its feet, they play a very important part in our econo- Are you even listening to me?!" Naruto had moved onto indulging my teammates on the wonders of cup ramen. "So yesterday I had chicken ramen and today I'm gonna try the ne-" The Hokage hit the table, scattering people. "Kakashi! Control your team!" Sensei rubbed the back of head guiltily, the Hokage sighed, rubbing his temples. "...I will give you a C-rank mission. An escort mission." Iruka slammed down his clipboard. "With all due respect, I know my students! They're not ready for something like this!" Kakashi cleared his voice, he held the room's attention. "Actually Iruka, they're my students, and I say they're ready for a C-rank." I chocked back a laugh, Sasuke gave me an odd look.

What a fucking savage. The Hokage gathered his papers. "Your client will be here any minute." Naruto started jumping... again. "So who are we gonna escort? A noble? A princess?" A drunkard. We're escorting a drunkard. An old man with glasses and a straw hat stumbled in the office holding a bottle of cheap sake, he was clearly drunk. The Hokage cleared his voice. "This is Tazuna the bridge builder. You'll be escorting back to his home in the land of the waves." Tazuna gestured to my team with his sake bottle. "They're supposed to protect me? They don't look like much, especially the short one with an idiotic look on his face, the one with messy hair isn't much better." My hand subconsciously brushed against my bangs. I-it's not that bad, right? I fretted over my mop of dark ginger while my teammates compared heights. Sakura pulled me back to stand with them. I was only taller than Naruto by like an inch, Sakura and Sasuke stood above both of us. I sighed. Naruto yelled at the drunk guy. "How dare you disrespect a future kage?" Kakashi turned back to us holding the mission information. "It's a two week mission out of the village, pack your bags accordingly, meet at the gates in an hour." I nodded.