10. 'the after party, part two'

"So.." Cash spoke, the butterflies in her belly flying about every which way inside her stomach.

"So..." Tom replied, mentally kicking himself. C'mon, Tom! At least look at her in the eyes. Oh, shit, maybe not. They're kind of the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen in my life. Fuck. Right. Remember what Harrison said, be smooth, calm, ask her to get a drink, "did you want to maybe go get a drink? You know, before the party?"

Cash smiled, because she knew exactly how he'd felt. However, she was kind of unsure why.

What is wrong with you, Cash? She thought. With Shane it was so easy when we first met, and a hey didn't seem awkward at at. Maybe that was why it didn't work between us both, because it was so easy? Well I certainly didn't get these butterflies when I first met him, so that must be it! She'd decided. What could go wrong? Dad's gone home so there's no hope of running into him at the bar, and he seems like a nice guy who's just as nervous as you are.

Say yes.

"I'd love to, sure," she replied, somewhat coolly that made a smile etch it's way onto Tom's cheeks.

"Great! Fantastic! Um, yeah!" He spoke, almost forgetting to calm his inner monologue.

Smooth. He thought. Be smooth. Gentlemanly-wait! Was that even a word?

Tom put his arm out for her, and she gladly accepted, her heart beating what felt like one hundred miles a minute in her chest. Good job you covered up for this one, she thought. If your chest had been out he'd probably have been able to see the outline of your heart beating right out of your body.

Relax, Cash. Relax, she spoke to herself as Tom guided her towards the bar across the carpet.

"What can I get you?" The barman asked, eyeing the both of them, "hey! You're the kid from the movie! I'm a big fan. Oh! And you're Iron Man's daughter! Also a big fan."

Cash blushed, as did Tom a little, as they decided what to order.

"Well, I've still got six months until I'm 21 so I guess I'll just take a Diet Coke and ice, please."

Tom's face dropped as he remembered that she was a year younger than him, feeling awkward that he'd led her to a bar she couldn't drink at. Have I made her feel stupid? Have I made myself look stupid? Oh my god this was a stupid idea.

The barman smiled at the two of them, he couldn't have been more than a little older than them both, and shook his head.

"Don't worry about it," he spoke, "sixth months is nothing! What can I get for you, Miss Downey?"

Cash's smile lifted, as she saw Tom take a deep breath out that he'd been holding in once she revealed she couldn't legally drink.

"You sure?" she asked, "I wouldn't wanna get you into any trouble!"

The guy shook his head, "it's no problem, Miss Downey."

This guy is totally smooth. Why can't I be like him? He's literally been speaking to her for two minutes and has already got more out of her than you have in ten! C'mon, Tom! He thought. Be smooth.

"Well in that case," he spoke, "I'll have a Budweiser and a glass of rosé for my lady?"

My lady? Oh my god, Tom! My lady? That makes it sound like you own her, which after the awkwardness of this conversation it is clear you never will! Oh god, I hope she didn't hear it like that! He thought. She's smiling, so I can't be doing that bad, right?

"Sounds great!" Cash spoke. She sat up onto the bar stool, now only just level with Tom's height.

The barman poured both of their drinks, and before Tom could get his wallet out the guy told them they were both on the house.

Cash took the glass of rosé, and lifted it up towards Tom, "to you, spiderman."

He took his beer bottle and clinked it with her glass, feeling the blush run to his cheeks.

"You know I have to hand it to you," she started, "normally anything marvel comes up and I zone out, I think my dad might've conditioned it into me. But that movie was so good, like genuinely I couldn't take my eyes of the screen no matter how much Liz was asking for more of my popcorn,"

Tom laughed, relaxing his tense shoulders a little and taking a swig of his beer, "really? I mean, I couldn't really take my eyes off you once I saw you walk into the theatre. Anyone ever told you that you're a little distracting?" he spoke, the blush once again running up his neck.

Cash was shocked at his compliment, but thought she'd test him a little more before she let him fully relax.

"Only a little distracting?" She asked, cocking an eyebrow at him. Immediately, she saw the panic rush to his face, but he was determined not to let her push him away again.

"Like very distracting," Tom replied with a smile, "like to the point where I'd planned out what I was gonna say to you once we got out, which didn't exactly go to plan-"

"Forgetting your lines?" She teased, "that's never good when you're in the movie business, you know?"

Tom saw what she was doing, she was testing him. Harrison had told him all about this, how girls test guys they like to see if they can hold their own. He'd told him to tease her back, to make sure she knew he couldn't be scared off. It was safe to say, he was still pretty scared.

"I think I might call line more than anyone in the entirety of the MCU," he replied, making her chuckle.

It went quiet between them, but Cash didn't mind it. It felt more comfortable, less tense. She sipped on her rosé, looking over to the barman who gestured towards Tom.

They both looked towards one another, opening their mouths simultaneously.

"So I was wondering-" Tom started.

"You look great tonight-" Cash soon followed.

Both laughed, and she caught the first proper glimpse of his eyes she'd managed to find the entire night. They were dark brown like hers, but had a hue to them she'd never seen before. Shane had also had deep brown eyes, but she'd never thought about the shades in them like she had Tom's. Is this weird? I've only just met the guy, do I really need to be daydreaming about his eyes right now?

"You go first," she spoke, crossing one leg over the other on the bar stool.

Tom gulped, and got caught in her eyes once again.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out for a bite to eat whilst I'm still in New York this week?" He asked, and she looked back to the bartender, a smile on her face. He encouraged her to look back, "I mean only if you're not busy, I know you've been filming and-"

"Monday at noon any good for you?"

"That's perfect."